MC14 Upgrade Major performance issues

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bszabo825

MC14 Upgrade Major performance issues

Postby bszabo825 » 02 Feb 2021

Hi,

I have upgraded MC 14 from MC12 a couple of weeks ago. I have been using MC for more than 6 years, and I've never had major issues before.
Using usually multiple charts for trading and running over 100 charts for simulation and real time testing in multiple MC instances, but not reaching GDI limits. Using IB Gateway and TS for data feed.
The charts where I trade are using IOG strategies, but never had issues before the upgrade.
Since the upgrade I have the following issue:
- Major slow down of the workspaces, when I click on them it takes several seconds just activate them, and controls are reacting with delays.
- Position tracker is heavily delayed, it takes minute to close position for IB and to disconnect, this the most serious, as it impacts trading massively
- In general all the MC instances become very slow, when automated trading is running (in that specific workspace)

I have updated the antivirus / firewall for the program and process folders, but still have major issues. Delays got better however with this, but still not good enough.

The server have AMD Ryzen 3950x 32 Threads with 64GB with windows server 2019. CPU doesn't even go above 10%. But I don't have an extra GPU
I receive number of warnings that for FS06 Study calculation overload has exceeded computer capability.
My strategies are entering at 6pm Eastern time when the new days open, I've had error messages that more than 2.000.000 ms delays occurred!
I don't know what to do anymore, there are clearly issues with the software.
Could be also the AMD the problem, I just switched a month ago.

Would appreciate support how these issue can be resolved.

Thank you for your support,
Barnabas

Kate MultiCharts

Re: MC14 Upgrade Major performance issues

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 03 Feb 2021

Hello bszabo825,

Please do the following:

1. Make sure that the Fast Trace is enabled.
To enable Fast Tracing:
1. Close MultiCharts and make sure no processes are running in Task Manager -> Details Tab -> Description column -> click on the column name to sort all processes by Description -> no MultiCharts processes should be listed there.
2. Click Windows Start button -> type regedit -> click Enter.
3. Go to the following path for MultiCharts 64-bit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\BugSlayer
4. Right-click on the space on the right-side of the registry window -> New -> String Value -> “FastTrace\Enabled” is the name of the value -> right-click on this value -> Modify -> type True -> click Ok.

2. Make sure that all the folders listed in the Preferences -> Misc tab -> Directories section are added to the antivirus exceptions.

Please let us know if that helps to resolve your issue.

bszabo825

Postby bszabo825 » 06 Feb 2021

Dear Kate,

Thank you very much for the support. It got much better.

Thank you,
Barnabas

PK1

Postby PK1 » 26 Feb 2021

Hello bszabo825,

Please do the following:

To enable Fast Tracing:
1. Close MultiCharts and make sure no processes are running in Task Manager -> Details Tab -> Description column -> click on the column name to sort all processes by Description -> no MultiCharts processes should be listed there.
3. Go to the following path for MultiCharts 64-bit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\BugSlayer
4. Right-click on the space on the right-side of the registry window -> New -> String Value -> “FastTrace\Enabled” is the name of the value -> right-click on this value -> Modify -> type True -> click Ok.

2. Make sure that all the folders listed in the Preferences -> Misc tab -> Directories section are added to the antivirus exceptions.

Hello,

I've got similar performance problems but since quite a few years with and without my indicators, with old hardware and with new built PC. Usually I do my trades via TWS from IB (my MC datasource is IB as well) but starting to switch to chart-trading on MC always stopps me after a while do to the performance. Some months ago I got also messages that there's a performance bottleneck, not sure if that message came from MC. Since a few days I started another approuch trying to find out whether its my indicators or not. They aren't the problem.

Three things I can say so far:
1. IB has longtime memory problems/leak when it comes to the amount of loaded symbols, which can't be overcome with increasing the memory as suggested from IB-Support. I don't know if this problem is causing MC reacting slow.
2. The BugSlayer FastTrace was already enabled on my side but deactivating more of BugSlayer helped a lot!
3. Right now I've tried without any indicator, only 3 windows with about 6 days of minute and sec-data for /MESH1 and still I can see how the mousepointer is "juddering" and the busy-icons appears / disappears very often. That is only when hovering above MC-Applications. Means: MC does something behind which is slowing things downs heavily.

I'm a longtime customer with MC and remember how the performance has increased with newer versions but the last years the opposite is the case. At the beginning I had about 3-4 workspaces open with about 6-10 windows each and it was fine! Now only one workspace with 4-6 windows due to the performance and intraday-scalping is hardly possible.

Now seeing that MC is somehow busy with clean charts without any indicators, with jumping mousepointer doesn't look good but finding a solution or track to the root seems impossible.

Edit: Still need to figure out whether Bitdefender could cause the problems

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 02 Mar 2021

A couple of ideas here:

1) For the IB Gateway, don't run ancient releases....they are upgrading constantly. Keep up to date.
Make sure the IB Gateway has high priority and executes in a separate core:
START "" /HIGH /B /MIN /AFFINITY 0xC "C:\Jts\ibgateway\978\ibgateway.exe"
I suggest you NEVER set it to /REALTIME. That really causes havoc in Windows.

2) Constantly monitor all CPU usage at the task level. Glary Utilities has a superior task monitor compared to windows.
Especially watch Server.exe and TSServer.exe.

3) Definitely try running MC with no virus protection. Also, if you turn-off your browser, you shouldn't really need it unless there are background processes that are accessing other URL's. Those should probably be disabled during trading hours.

4) Consider setting up some Powerscripts to turn-off file indexing (and other tasks) during trading hours and then resetting it back on at night.

Kate MultiCharts

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 04 Mar 2021

Hello bszabo825,

Please do the following:

To enable Fast Tracing:

Hello,

I've got similar performance problems but since quite a few years with and without my indicators, with old hardware and with new built PC. Usually I do my trades via TWS from IB (my MC datasource is IB as well) but starting to switch to chart-trading on MC always stopps me after a while do to the performance. Some months ago I got also messages that there's a performance bottleneck, not sure if that message came from MC. Since a few days I started another approuch trying to find out whether its my indicators or not. They aren't the problem.

Three things I can say so far:
1. IB has longtime memory problems/leak when it comes to the amount of loaded symbols, which can't be overcome with increasing the memory as suggested from IB-Support. I don't know if this problem is causing MC reacting slow.
2. The BugSlayer FastTrace was already enabled on my side but deactivating more of BugSlayer helped a lot!
3. Right now I've tried without any indicator, only 3 windows with about 6 days of minute and sec-data for /MESH1 and still I can see how the mousepointer is "juddering" and the busy-icons appears / disappears very often. That is only when hovering above MC-Applications. Means: MC does something behind which is slowing things downs heavily.

I'm a longtime customer with MC and remember how the performance has increased with newer versions but the last years the opposite is the case. At the beginning I had about 3-4 workspaces open with about 6-10 windows each and it was fine! Now only one workspace with 4-6 windows due to the performance and intraday-scalping is hardly possible.

Now seeing that MC is somehow busy with clean charts without any indicators, with jumping mousepointer doesn't look good but finding a solution or track to the root seems impossible.

Edit: Still need to figure out whether Bitdefender could cause the problems
Hello,

If you are using a virtual machine, please make sure that the host is not occupied by anything else and disable your antivirus/firewall software or add all the MultiCharts processes and TraderWorkstation processes to the exceptions.

If the issue is still reproduced, please open the Task Manager to see which processes take most of the system resources, like Private Memory, CPU, HDD. They shouldn’t be fully used for MultiCharts to work properly.

If most of the resources are used by MultiCharts processes, please send us

1) A screenshot to demonstrate it
2) The steps to reproduce the behaviour
3) Logs via the main MultiCharts window -> Help -> Feedback.
Please select the options:
Attach a screenshot;
Attach log files…;
Attach minidump for crash analysis;
Snapshot of the current MC setup;
Open workspaces…;
Active indicators...;
Active signals...;
Custom resolution plugins;
Upload collected data to help desk;
uncheck other options and click Send.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 04 Mar 2021

I receive number of warnings that for FS06 Study calculation overload has exceeded computer capability.
Same issue with me, i use an INTEL I9 9900K at 4.4 Ghz and no more cpu load than 10 % ! LoL.

this code to manage MC cpu load add more issue for nothing very intersting to know, many false alert and stop autotrading, even with a registry patch, we have always this cpu control code runing and take power too for nothing !

PK1

Postby PK1 » 04 Mar 2021

Some posting - problem. Can be deleted.
Last edited by PK1 on 04 Mar 2021, edited 2 times in total.

PK1

Postby PK1 » 04 Mar 2021

Hello,

If you are using a virtual machine, please make sure that the host is not occupied by anything else and disable your antivirus/firewall software or add all the MultiCharts processes and TraderWorkstation processes to the exceptions.

If the issue is still reproduced, please open the Task Manager to see which processes take most of the system resources, like Private Memory, CPU, HDD. They shouldn’t be fully used for MultiCharts to work properly.

If most of the resources are used by MultiCharts processes, please send us

1) A screenshot to demonstrate it
2) The steps to reproduce the behaviour
3) Logs via the main MultiCharts window -> Help -> Feedback.
Attach a screenshot;
Attach log files…;
Attach minidump for crash analysis;
Open workspaces…;
Active indicators...;
Active signals...;
Custom resolution plugins;
Hello,

thx and very useful hints, including the hint with Bugslayer! I've checked most of that already (even rebuilt the entire PC a while ago to eliminate bottlenecks), disabled bitdefender completely, then checked ressource usage from running processes and way more. Found something but not regarding MC, my 2nd graphicscard was too busy with IO on a ssd and somehow interrupting things, eliminated now.

As far as I can see MC uses about 2% performance without doing something on the single workspace. When scrolling one chart a few seconds it's up to 8% for MC and about 14-18% (usually 8-10%) for the entire CPU. Avg CPU-Usage for MC is 3-4% according to the Resource Monitor with cores used from 1 until sometimes 6. All that data looks fine to me and CPU could handle way more. There's no VM or HD of course, all on SSD Samsung SSD 860 Pro in Rapid Mode. So all that is fine.

I will try to add also the remaining processes mentioned above to my bitdefender config, adding folders I see no Bitdefender-Config where this is possible, Also I'll keep the entire bugslayer without log (which imo was worth it to disable). For me it looks like all indicators and especially drawings on the charts needs to be re-initialized when entering a chart and are a bottleneck when interacting with a chart. The more drawings on a chart the less the entire performance when interacting with the chart, adding something, deleting or scrolling. It seems to help a lot deleting all drawings from time to time. Imho that's a point to look into for the developer.

Thx for your hints.

kelvinhui9

Postby kelvinhui9 » 05 Apr 2021

Reporting similar issue, only around 15 charts for strategy execution. With AMD core, virtual machine, receiving FS06 message for some charts once open the charts awhile. What are the suggested fix for that beyond the fast trace?

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 05 Apr 2021

DId you guys try to set the Multicharts windows priority to "High" from "Normal" ?
Just curious as to what effect that would have.

Tammy MultiCharts

Postby Tammy MultiCharts » 06 Apr 2021

Reporting similar issue, only around 15 charts for strategy execution. With AMD core, virtual machine, receiving FS06 message for some charts once open the charts awhile. What are the suggested fix for that beyond the fast trace?
Hello kelvinhui9,

[FS06] alert is generated by the Fail-Watch System that was designed to warn the users about possible issues.
The general recommendation for the users that get [FS06] alerts during auto-trading is to reduce CPU usage.

If you are satisfied with your computer's performance, do not observe any issues in the operation and consider this alert excessive, please reproduce the issue and send us logs via the main MultiCharts window -> Help -> Feedback.
Attach a screenshot;
Attach log files…;
Open workspaces…;
Data for active instruments…;
Active signals...;

Our engineers will try to replicate the alert in your environment on our end to find out what the reason of the alert is.

wacketywidge

Postby wacketywidge » 06 Mar 2023

Similar problem for me. After installing release 14 a few days ago, it worked fine for a few days. Then over the weekend, used Multicharts in offline mode and worked fine,, This morning, Monday, switched back to online, and severe delays in cursor, scrolling, etc. Not a high CPU load. Multicharts excluded in virus scanner. Registry Fast(whatever) set to true. Can duplicate problem by going between offline and online. OK offline but not online. What's up??

IGNORE THIS POST. FOUND PROBLEM. INDICATOR THAT I HAD ADDED TO CHART WHEN RUNNING OFFLINE WAS DOING EXCESSIVE CALCULATIONS WHEN ONLINE. PROBLEM SOLVED

Return to “MultiCharts”