New to MC: How or Can I Do Following?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tpredictor

New to MC: How or Can I Do Following?

Postby tpredictor » 12 Mar 2021

I have been registered user for about 6 months but am just now getting into it. While I used MC in past, I am coming back in anew. Can I backtest strategies on the following and what are the limitations?

1. Order flow based strategies that use sign of orders. Can I access this in Powerlanguage? What datafeed do I need to test properly and how far back can I get? Also, something like volume only execute a stop loss if > x contracts trade. Can I backtest this?
2. Volume profile/market profile information for strategies?
3. Is it possible to backtest news strategies over reasonable history? Any news providers can be used for actual backtesting/not forward testing?
4. Order book strategies-- is it possible to incorporate the order book such as buy market only when bid size > offer size?
5. Backtesting on non time bars? What are the limitations?

syswizard

Re: New to MC: How or Can I Do Following?

Postby syswizard » 17 Mar 2021

1. Order flow based strategies that use sign of orders. Can I access this in Powerlanguage? What datafeed do I need to test properly and how far back can I get? Also, something like volume only execute a stop loss if > x contracts trade. Can I backtest this?
I don't understand this: "sign of orders". What is it ?
I don't understand this: "something like volume only execute a stop loss if > x contracts trade."
2. Volume profile/market profile information for strategies?
I don't believe there is an Easy Language function to access the elements of market profile.
Great idea however.
3. Is it possible to backtest news strategies over reasonable history? Any news providers can be used for actual backtesting/not forward testing?
There is no Easy Language function to access News Feeds. You'll have to create your own news feed indicator by interpreting the news and converting it to numbers.
4. Order book strategies-- is it possible to incorporate the order book such as buy market only when bid size > offer size?
Yes, there are functions for that: InsideBid, Inside Ask
5. Backtesting on non time bars? What are the limitations?
Yes. No limitations AFAIK.

Vlada MultiCharts

Postby Vlada MultiCharts » 18 Mar 2021

Hello tpredictor,

You may want to look into our Wiki resource for the detailed guides.

You can check the following articles:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... me_Profile
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... acktesting
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... acktesting

tpredictor

Postby tpredictor » 22 Apr 2021

Is there any way to access the imbalance delta bar data in Powerlanguage? I see it is possible in .NET version. If it is not possible today, are there plans to add it?

Return to “MultiCharts”