Avoid manually adding instruments?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tpredictor

Avoid manually adding instruments?

Postby tpredictor » 08 Apr 2021

On TS data, I have to manually add each instrument before it is recognized. Is this always required?

TraderGuy

Re: Avoid manually adding instruments?

Postby TraderGuy » 08 Apr 2021

For stocks, I create a csv file of all symbols on Nasdaq, NYSE, and AMEX with Exchange and Description. I import that list into Quote Manager with my data provider of choice. Refresh quarterly , monthly, or whenever.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 08 Apr 2021

TraderGuy, just curious, how do you go about then mapping all these symbols you imported ?
I have not founded another way than trough great pain mapping (in my case) iq dtn symbol x, to IB SMART for symbol x..
This cant be done without manually doing it for each unique symbol..(unless you use broker data only)
or have you found a way ?

TraderGuy

Postby TraderGuy » 08 Apr 2021

It's been while since I used IB. I was able to auto build a mapping file that had many of them correct and had to fix the others manually.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 09 Apr 2021

TraderGuy, ok i see.

As far as i know, there is no possibility to use any "mapping file", import etc.

We can import symbols to add or import data, but not mapping ?

Perhaps i have missed something?

TraderGuy

Postby TraderGuy » 09 Apr 2021

I believe the mapping file will be built for you when you add all symbols to Portfolio trader. There are some threads on this. It's not perfect but it's a start.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 09 Apr 2021

Traderguy, as far as i know, symbols for mapping is only added to mapping when you turn on a portfolio for live trading or input the symbol on a chart with strategy on and turn it on.

Also this only happens as far as i know only if data used is same as broker.
Its also guaranteed that symbol with not be mapped correct to smart if using IB, at least not the majority of them.

I have been trough this route before, and really tried to make it work using MC for a larger portfolio of stocks, without the need to manually map every symbol manually (which is impossible if you are using hundred of symbols in your portfolio)

And i gave up, changed platform for my equity trading.

SO i am very curious if anyone have been able to import or adding mapping for symbols using other data than broker, without manually having to add the symbols to mapping and get it correct to smart etc...

Anyway, if you have been able to make it work for you, then all good for you

Return to “MultiCharts”