autotrade options based on strategy on the underlying

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
pthegr8

autotrade options based on strategy on the underlying

Postby pthegr8 » 02 May 2021

Hi,
I'm new to MC.net and my goal is to migrate some of my own developed indicators from a discontinued platform to MC.net. Learning C# as fast as I can.

couple questions I would really appreciate to get some help on:
I have an IB account linked to MC

I day trade weekly SPY options, and my strategy is based on an indicator that runs on the underlying.
When it triggers a buy or sell signal I trade ATM or 1 strike OTM options front-end expiration.

so you probably see where I'm going with this; from what I've seen from the code in the existing strategies, it autotrades the ticker of the chart the strategy is loaded on.
If I have a SPY chart (or any other ticker, for that matter) with a strategy, how can I have it trade an option ticker?
should I start a second chart and load the option, and can you create a strategy that links somehow to the chart of the underlying symbol? or can I load option ticker symbols somehow in the strategy that runs on the underlying symbol? and then when it triggers a buy signal, load the option ticker and trade that, instead of the underlying symbol?

any directions, hints, examples?
Thanks,
P.

pthegr8

Re: autotrade options based on strategy on the underlying

Postby pthegr8 » 06 May 2021

or for example I find that my indicators work better on a ETF, but like to trade the 3xETF. so for example if my indicator triggers a trade entry for SPY, I'd like to trade the SPXS or SPXL.
so the same question would apply. How do you place an order on a different ticker than the strategy is running on?

darob

Postby darob » 06 May 2021

Hi pthegr8

I don't know about options but you can trade an instrument using strategies that run on another instrument in a single chart by loading the reference instrument as BarsOfData(2)

viewtopic.php?t=45848

pthegr8

Postby pthegr8 » 06 May 2021

Learned something new. that sounds like a solution for what I want to do. thanks for the reply Darob!

rc76

Postby rc76 » 04 Jun 2021

Is MCnet capable of autotrading options?

Vlada MultiCharts

Postby Vlada MultiCharts » 29 Jul 2021

rc76,

MultiCharts was not specifically designed for options trading.
MultiCharts treats options instruments as regular instruments and they should be added one by one.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”