How to delete data in Quote manager in Ver14?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Applecabi

How to delete data in Quote manager in Ver14?

Postby Applecabi » 16 Jan 2022

As title, how to correctly delete data of the preset symbols for a complete reload of the database in Ver 14?
In the older version deleting historical data in QuoteManager will not shrink the file size of TSStorage.GDB (currently 6.2GB).
After searching the forum lead to an old thread back to 2011 which mentioned using a gBak.bat file for file shrinkage. Just download the file but it did not work with ver 14.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance!
P/S Why by deleting data in QuoteManager will not shrink the size of file ?

Applecabi

Jupp25

Re: How to delete data in Quote manager in Ver14?

Postby Jupp25 » 20 Jan 2022

Hi Applecabi,

I cant really answer your question, but would like to reply with one in return:
For what reason do you want to shrink the "only 6.2", mine is 58 and runs just fine.
Did you read up on the Database "Firebird"? Sounds to me like there not much need for shrinking:
https://www.firebirdfaq.org/faq41/

Greets
Chris

Applecabi

Postby Applecabi » 20 Jan 2022

Hi Jupp25
The reason to shrink is simple first to get rid of expired futures data. If continuous future contract data such as from TS is used, there will be price adjustment after certain time , therefore I need to delete whole database and reload again periodically to create consistent database for strategy development. By doing so MC quote manager data file size will grow indefinitely as it file size does not reduced after deleting unwanted data.

Regards
Applecabi

Jupp25

Postby Jupp25 » 20 Jan 2022

My exerience in all this is limited...
1. I understand "refresh" for downloading historical data in the way, that new values in the ticker replace old ones... if there are any?
2. If you choose one of the "delete" options, I understand the firebird description, that if something is deleted at one point, the newly available space is used for saving values that come in after deleting? and according to the desciption, they dont seem to have problems with a defragmented database?

Chris

Applecabi

Postby Applecabi » 20 Jan 2022

Hi Chris
In the old version MC 12 there was no refresh of historical data download scheduler. Without deleting the complete data I was not sure new data would be reloaded?
The only way to completely reload data without increasing the database file size indefinitely was to build database from scratch. This was not feasible as I have to reconfigure more than 60 symbols periodically . Though TS provides 20 years data for minute resolution . only 3 month of data reload for tick resolution is available.

Applecabi

Tammy MultiCharts

Postby Tammy MultiCharts » 21 Jan 2022

Hello Applecabi,

It is expected that the size of the data base doesn't change after deleting the data from Quote Manager.
The data is deleted logically, and the freed up space is reused later. This is done for speeding up the data base's work.

As for Gbak Utility, please try to run the version provided in our wiki according to the instructions.
We have checked it with MultiCharts 14, and it worked as expected.

Return to “MultiCharts”