Portfolio Trader Priority Question

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
joebone

Portfolio Trader Priority Question

Postby joebone » 19 Jan 2022

After messing with portfolio Trader for a few weeks I finally have everything working as intended.... Almost...

The Question
I am doing a sector rotation strategy and I need to have all my exits take place before my purchases in order to make room for the incoming purchases.

My original plan was to make separate strategies for the exits and the entries. That way I could put all the Exit strategies first in a higher priority on the portfolio tree.

I was trying to bypass the pmm_ stuff for simplicity and use this part of the manual..
"If priority is set the same for all strategies, higher priority is given to the strategy located on top of the Portfolio Tree."

It looks like I can't make one strategy exit the position of another strategy though...? is this correct?

I plan on eventually using the PMM process as its far superior to the way I am doing it but I wanted to confirm that one strategy can't exit the positions of another strategy?

Thanks for any help

Tammy MultiCharts

Re: Portfolio Trader Priority Question

Postby Tammy MultiCharts » 01 Feb 2022

Hello joebone,

That is correct, one strategy can't exit the positions of another strategy.

joebone

Postby joebone » 01 Feb 2022

Hello joebone,

That is correct, one strategy can't exit the positions of another strategy.
The backtest doesn't have a problem finding margin to buy and sell all on the same bar even when lower priority signals are selling for money that buys on higher priority signals. Does that mean all selling happens at a higher priority than buying or is this only working cause its in a backtest?

Tammy MultiCharts

Postby Tammy MultiCharts » 04 Feb 2022

Hello joebone,

In Portfolio margin calculation exits and partial exits have a higher priority as no additional funds must be used. Invested Capital is released by exits.
As for the orders sorted by Money Management, order execution priority rules described here are applied.

Return to “MultiCharts”