Charts keeps on backfilling from live data feed instead of database

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ragdoll

Charts keeps on backfilling from live data feed instead of database

Postby ragdoll » 25 Jan 2022

Sometimes my PC got crashed and restart without exiting multicharts first. I found if I restart multicharts then, all charts kept on backfilling from interactive broker instead of database which costs a lot of time. Usually it costs a lot of time to establishing a data connection. As I have all data saved in database by historical schedule download, how to let multicharts backfilling fast from database instead of live data feed please?

Thanks.

Kate MultiCharts

Re: Charts keeps on backfilling from live data feed instead of database

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 26 Jan 2022

Hello ragdoll,

Once data is downloaded from the data feed server and plotted on the chart, it is stored in the cache. When you close MultiCharts, QuoteManager and Portfolio Trader, cached data is saved to the local database.
You can also do it on demand without closing down all platform processes by using the Flush Cached Data to Database option in the Edit tab of QuoteManager or the File tab of MultiCharts.

Next time you plot a chart, the data is loaded from the cache or database first, then missing historical data and realtime data are requested from the data provider.
For more information please see this page.

If MultiCharts was not closed properly, the data collected during the session might get lost.

ragdoll

Postby ragdoll » 26 Jan 2022

Yes, that is what I expect MC to do. However, I am sure years of data got stored in DB but MC still needs to backfilling from start.

Thanks.
Hello ragdoll,

Once data is downloaded from the data feed server and plotted on the chart, it is stored in the cache. When you close MultiCharts, QuoteManager and Portfolio Trader, cached data is saved to the local database.
You can also do it on demand without closing down all platform processes by using the Flush Cached Data to Database option in the Edit tab of QuoteManager or the File tab of MultiCharts.

Next time you plot a chart, the data is loaded from the cache or database first, then missing historical data and realtime data are requested from the data provider.

If MultiCharts was not closed properly, the data collected during the session might get lost.

ragdoll

Postby ragdoll » 20 Jun 2022

But most users keep Multicharts open 24 hours, is it possible to flush the cache to DB automatically?

In my case, the multicharts will be closed only when windows enforced update restart so that multicharts have no chance to flush its cache.
Hello ragdoll,

Return to “MultiCharts”