Set up several backtests at once

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
JoshD

Set up several backtests at once

Postby JoshD » 03 Mar 2022

Good day,

In TS it is possible to do several backtests at once by opening different strategies/markets in several chart windows or workspaces. As soon as you start the first backtest you can go to the next chartwindow/workspace and start more backtests which will be processed one after the other. This is not possible with Multi Charts, because as soon as you start the first backtest, the backtest window opens and blocks the other windows.

So far, the only solution I know is to open Multicharts more often, then you can start a backtest for each open application.

Are there any other solutions?

It becomes very confusing the more applications are open.

Also, I think it would be more resource efficient to have Multicharts open only once to backtest in different chart windows or workspaces.

Also, it seems that if you have several applications open, all backtests are tested at once instead of one after the other as in TS.

With TS I could already run over 100 backtests. The PC and the software became slower, of course, but with Multicharts it is even more extreme. I have only had a maximum of 12 applications with Multicharts running and backtesting, over 100 unimaginable.
Often I also get the error message: Source: Ui checker: Message: [FS07] High CPU load. The main Multichartswindow is not responding.

Unfortunately, I do not have time after each backtest to go to the PC and start a new one. Much more I would use the time when I sleep, work or do something else and let my PC work off all backtests in that time.

I work a lot with filters and have a lot of filters. In the backtests I find the best combinations of different filters.

I would find it nice if it would run like TS, so in an open application over several chart windows / workspaces several backtests to be processed in succession.

Maybe it would also be possible that the settings in the backtest window are applied to the next backtest when one is finished. So I could e.g. test multicharts with all CPU cores when I don't need the PC, and reduce the performance if I want to do something on the PC to increase the performance again afterwards.

I think that this function would be interesting not only for me but for many users who do a lot of backtesting to make the whole backtesting more efficient.

Kate MultiCharts

Re: Set up several backtests at once

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 04 Mar 2022

Hello JoshD,

Are you referring to the Optimization?
Backtesting is strategy calculation on historical data. As a result, the strategy places trades where they would have occurred in the past, none of the windows are brought up during or after backtesting.

JoshD

Postby JoshD » 04 Mar 2022

Hi Kate,

yes I´m referring to the Optimization.

Kate MultiCharts

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 04 Mar 2022

JoshD,

We're planning to implement such possibility for the Optimization in one of the future releases.

JoshD

Postby JoshD » 04 Mar 2022

Hi Kate,

thank you very much for your answer. Is already foreseeable when that will be approx?

Kate MultiCharts

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 07 Mar 2022

Hi JoshD,

There's no ETA yet I'm afraid.

Return to “MultiCharts”