Advice on Optimization Workflow

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Stowed4Sea

Advice on Optimization Workflow

Postby Stowed4Sea » 03 Mar 2022

I'm new to this world of optimization and need some help. I understand there are three main different types, but I guess I don't really know how to use them efficiently. I've successfully coded in a working, profitable strategy, but now how to optimize it.

I'm a bit overwhelmed, because while I can read about the differences between using Basic with Elitism or Incremental that uses Worst replacement instead of Random, I can just barely guess at what the results imply. Multicharts documentation does a good job providing basic information, but it's more like a dictionary and doesn't suggest pros cons of anything and searching forums and internet has proved fruitless at furthering my understanding of these topics, so here I am.

So on to my questions/thoughts
  • Which of the three (Regular, Walk Forward, Matrix) should I start with? To get rough idea of my changes effectiveness I use regular genetic Incremental. I understand the differences between Genetic vs Exhaustive, but that's about it. Are the other parameters not going to matter that much? Like I said above, I can read the documentation that describes each of these settings, but couldn't find anywhere that talks about in general terms why I might want to change one, or what it means for the results in general terms. Coming into this is like learning a foreign language
  • Which comes next after getting a general idea your strategy works? Matrix seems like a good one if I understand it effectively to really know what to change and how often to change them. I guess looking over Matrix and Walk Forward, I don't really understand what the different goals they are trying to accomplish. Both seem based on idea of optimizing at regular intervals but seems like Matrix gives you more information. Can I skip Walk Forward then or what does it provide?
What do yall do when developing strategies and what is your workflow?
I'd appreciate advice or links to more information that I'm looking, it's possible I just was searching with the wrong terms or language and missed somewhere that answers my questions, so apologize if asked and answered.

I realized long ago that there is no perfect strategy or indicator, and that extends to perfect settings for any indicator, I just don't really know how to best utilize my processing power and want to become more efficient with the tests I run, so appreciate the help.

Thanks all.

Return to “MultiCharts”