(If) Daylight Saving concept ends... Backtests?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Jupp25

(If) Daylight Saving concept ends... Backtests?

Postby Jupp25 » 15 Apr 2022

Hi,

there seem to be plans to end the concept of daylight saving time changes in the US. This would effect the way historical data is handled when backtesting.
Will MC get additional settings like: use GMT offset before/after daylight saving concept...

Chris

c0ntango

Re: (If) Daylight Saving concept ends... Backtests?

Postby c0ntango » 15 Apr 2022

Just make sure you use UTC data, it's the only real and permanent solution for professional purposes.

Jupp25

@c0ntango: I need to think that through LOL But first thing that comes to my mind, does`nt that just shift the problems of backtesting in context of time-changes, to a whole lot of considerrations to the code?
Ok, thats the only part I can fully controll, but it does make things way more complicated...
... I quess you`re right, even though I yet cant grasp the full extent of changes that would need to be done. I was/am hoping, that MC will compensate my lack of professional programming skills with a solution within the software ;-)

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 15 Apr 2022

This is not a programming problem and has nothing to do with MC. ;)

Jupp25

then explain please.

in my book, if I have a signal at 8oclock I dont have to think about time changes when doing a backtest, due to the built in settings for daylight saving. without those setting it meeds to be done in the code.
if that whole concept is dropped by the senat mext year, daylight saving settings like they are now is not enough, because there is before amd after daylight saving concept when doing backtest.

so how is that no programming/mc issue?

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 16 Apr 2022

What I meant was - it's a problem with you sourcing the right data, not really a programming problem. Make sure the data you're analyzing is in UTC, and then set MC to UTC. No daylight saving issues. Hope that helps.

Return to “MultiCharts”