Optimization slows down to a halt - almost

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Riembaus

Optimization slows down to a halt - almost

Postby Riembaus » 04 May 2022

Hi

Lately when I run optimizations it starts out with an estimate of maybe 8 hours, but once it gets to around 90% it slows down almost to a halt.

Right now it's sitting at 96% claiming it has about 16 minutes to go, but it's been at that number for about 20 minutes.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling MC twice and cleared the TEMP folder, but hasn't changed anything.

I am running genetic optimization with a population of 10,000,000.

I'm on an i7 8core processor with 16GB of ram.

It has been working just fine before !?

Kate MultiCharts

Re: Optimization slows down to a halt - almost

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 04 May 2022

Hi Riembaus,

Were there any changes to your setup/system? Any steps you've taken before you started to notice the issue?

The issue is not reproduced on our end.
Please send us logs via the main MultiCharts window -> Help -> Feedback so that we could check it on our end:
Please select the options:
Attach a screenshot;
Attach log files…;
Snapshot of the current MC setup;
Open workspaces…;
Active signals...; (if the issue is reproduced with pre-built signals, please specify which ones)
Upload collected data to Help Desk;
uncheck other options and click Send.

Also, please send us a screenshot of the Optimization settings to support@multicharts.com
Leave the link to that forum post in the description field when sending the logs and in the email with your screenshot so that we know which case the files are related to.

Riembaus

Postby Riembaus » 18 May 2022

I've been doing some testing and it seems that this "error" only occurs when I use huge populations to run a generic optimization something like 10,000,000 if I keep it to below 1,000,000 it runs as intended.

Riembaus

Postby Riembaus » 17 Sep 2022

Upon further investigation it seems that this occurs whenever there are a lot of inputs that the optimization process has to work through.
Apparently this makes it impossible for the process to foresee how long it will take to run the full optimization.

I have 16 inputs with anywhere from 5 - 30 possible values, which make for a lot of numbers to crunch :)

Return to “MultiCharts”