Multicharts folders on WinFsp file system

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
nni8568

Multicharts folders on WinFsp file system

Postby nni8568 » 29 Aug 2022

Hello,
I'm trying to store multicharts folders (Databases, StudyServer and others) on OneDrive and I need them to be encrypted (can't use OneDrive personal Vault). To do that I'm using a program that puts decrypted files and folders on a custom file system created using WinFsp or Dokany and mounted on a specific path. The file system is perfectly accessible and usable with Windows Explorer, but unfortunately I'm getting errors at Multicharts startup about not being able to read needed files. I made several tries and files permissions seem to be set properly, so I'm wondering if there is some known limitation that prevents Multicharts to work on such file systems, or if maybe someone else managed to do the same thing in some way.

I'm using MultiCharts64 Version 14.0 Release (Build 23013) on Windows 10 Pro

Thank you.

Polly MultiCharts

Re: Multicharts folders on WinFsp file system

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 30 Aug 2022

Hello nni8568,

MultiCharts uses files stored locally. The folder ‘Databases’ should be stored on a local physical drive, not on the network one.
For stable operation MultiCharts should have permanent exclusive access to all its folders and files, i.e. other programs should not read, open or modify MultiCharts files.
OneDrive cannot be used to store the files required for MultiCharts operation, these files should be stored locally.

nni8568

Postby nni8568 » 31 Aug 2022

Hi Polly, thank you for reply, but the question is related to using a custom file system created using WinFsp, Dokany or similar software. The same problem exists also if the file system is created from a local folder.

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 31 Aug 2022

Ron,

The folder ‘Databases’ cannot be stored on a network drive, only on the physical one. All the other MultiCharts folders that you can find in File->Preferences->Misk tab can be transferred to network drives.

You could post your request about storing the database on a network drive at our Project Management.
If it is popular among our users, our developers will review the possibility of adding it.

nni8568

Postby nni8568 » 02 Sep 2022

Hi Polly, sure I will post the request to PM. Can you please explain how to? I'm not allowed to login on the page you linked.

Still I have the doubt about storing folders on a custom file system created using WinFsp, Dokany or similar software, which applies both to network and local drives and that would be useful to store files encrypted.

Thanks

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 02 Sep 2022

nni8568,

To create an account at Project Management, please contact the support team at support@multicharts.com.

Return to “MultiCharts”