IB Gateway optimal restart time for best stability ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Salzburg

IB Gateway optimal restart time for best stability ?

Postby Salzburg » 04 Jan 2023

Hi All,

A quick question, what is your restart time for IB Gateway that you have found most stable, and that you use ?

Does anyone know if this chosen restart time, would be any different depending on what IB server you have chosen to connect to ?
Such as Zug, Chicago or HK for example.

I was told by IB rep, that one should for best reliability, set it to restart during the overnight IB server restart time, so 23:45 - 00:45 ET.

What is your thoughts and experience on this matter ?

rrams

Re: IB Gateway optimal restart time for best stability ?

Postby rrams » 04 Jan 2023

After much experimenting, what I do is set the IB Gateway to restart at 21:30 MST (GMT-7) for connecting to the Chicago servers.

HOWEVER, I also set a Windows Task Scheduler event to close the Gateway at 21:05 MST and open it back up at 22:05 MST. This is because during that time the Gateway tends to lose connection several times and at slightly different segments of that hour. So I can't trade then anyway.

If you set the Gateway to restart at the same moment that IB servers (Windows NT circa 2003?) are rebooting then you risk the possibility that the Gateway will reach the maximum number of retry events and just never start.

Your experience may differ due to location and Daylight Saving Time differences.

Jupp25

Re: IB Gateway optimal restart time for best stability ?

Postby Jupp25 » 10 Jan 2023

@rrams:
offtopic: How to use Windows Task Scheduler for making shure, that Data Manager tasks only start when "xy" has finished....wrote you a direct message:

thx :-)

Return to “MultiCharts”