lost my strategy

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
gary1288

lost my strategy

Postby gary1288 » 19 Mar 2023

I remembered that I created a signal. and name it !xxx_signal_strategy
but Now I can not find the strategy. I can see it from recent scripts, so I open it , but MC said the study is not there. and now I can not find it in recrent scripts.
I guess MC has some bugs
1, it is not a study. it is actually a signal.
2, MC maybe has some checking rules. it is a signal/strategy, but now I never add a buy/short command in the code. so it is not complete, but MC should not delete my strategy file because there's no long/short command in the code.
Thanks.

gary1288

Re: lost my strategy

Postby gary1288 » 19 Mar 2023

I will try another name, not using "signal" in the filename.

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Mar 2023

Before you accuse MC has bugs, which it might be true, as all software does, you should take a look at what you are accusing . . .
You have a problem finding a file. I know it is frustrating.
File management is a basic Windows function. MC merely calls the function from the software. All the file handling is performed by the Windows operating system. Windows has been around for a long time. I don't see how there can be a bug in such a basic operation.
I believe your file is still there. It might be in a place you are not looking at.

gary1288

Postby gary1288 » 20 Mar 2023

You have a problem finding a file. I know it is frustrating.
File management is a basic Windows function. MC merely calls the function from the software. All the file handling is performed by the Windows operating system. Windows has been around for a long time. I don't see how there can be a bug in such a basic operation.
I don't know what I can say. I have been an IT engineer for about 20 years. it is not that simple.

gary1288

Postby gary1288 » 20 Mar 2023

When Multicharts is running, the indicators and signal/strategy can run and compile, it is ok, but after closing the MC and opening it the next time, it may suddenly appear that the indicator cannot be found.

There are some complex mechanisms for file management during startup loading or flushing to disk. Currently, I don't have time to debug this/reproduce this. I hope MC can check the file management. My signal is a little special. 1, the name !xxx_signal_strategy might not be right. 2, the signal file is big, with more than 2000 lines, 3, no buy/sell orders.
also , MC need to check, if you save the indicator/signal to another filename and compile it, and then you open the file->open ,and delete the old name , it will not delete both the old and new file.

I can build the signal again, it is not hard. so it is ok now. and I think I will not face this problem again. Doing normal things is better. No need to delete indicator.

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Mar 2023

Did you start the Editor as an Administrator?
Did you set the Windows operating system to permit you the user to modify files?
Did you log in to Windows with the assigned username?

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Mar 2023

I've had problems occasionally, finding a strategy and I have had to click on "Name" at the top of the "strategy" category a few times, to re-sort the file names. Then they appear where they are expected to be.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 16 Apr 2023

When Multicharts is running, the indicators and signal/strategy can run and compile, it is ok, but after closing the MC and opening it the next time, it may suddenly appear that the indicator cannot be found.

There are some complex mechanisms for file management during startup loading or flushing to disk. Currently, I don't have time to debug this/reproduce this. I hope MC can check the file management. My signal is a little special. 1, the name !xxx_signal_strategy might not be right. 2, the signal file is big, with more than 2000 lines, 3, no buy/sell orders.
also , MC need to check, if you save the indicator/signal to another filename and compile it, and then you open the file->open ,and delete the old name , it will not delete both the old and new file.

I can build the signal again, it is not hard. so it is ok now. and I think I will not face this problem again. Doing normal things is better. No need to delete indicator.
SAME SAME SOMETIME TO TIME !

i close all multicharts task, reboot my PC and find them again.

Return to “MultiCharts”