Computing power needed for PT with 500 symbols?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ZaphodB

Computing power needed for PT with 500 symbols?

Postby ZaphodB » 16 May 2023

I'm trying to backtest Portfolio Trader for the SP 500 and it keeps crashing the computer. I used the highest level AWS Workspace available with 8 vCPU and 32 GiB Memory and it still happened. What kind of computing power is needed here?

TraderGuy

Re: Computing power needed for PT with 500 symbols?

Postby TraderGuy » 16 May 2023

I have an older I7, maybe five years, and only 16GB of RAM. I can do it easily with daily bars going back a number of years. I've gone as high as 2000 symbols. What timeframe bars are you using, and what's the data source? Are you able to fulfill the data request for testing? Keep an eye on QuoteManager for that info. All resources here are local.

ZaphodB

Re: Computing power needed for PT with 500 symbols?

Postby ZaphodB » 18 May 2023

My signal originally uses daily bars but has IOG on.. So, I did some fairly intensive coding to make it work close to the same way on sub daily charts so I could use it in PT (because IOG doesn't work in PT). I figured for these purposes, using 5 minute bars would be granular enough and going back 5 years. I'm able to get the data but I think it is hanging up (and crashing the pc) when generating the performance report. I need to keep a closer eye to see where things are going wrong.

Return to “MultiCharts”