Data Backup - Vista

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
gadol

Data Backup - Vista

Postby gadol » 31 Jul 2008

I have over 100 securities in QM. Can you advise me how to backup data from QM but quickly and systematically? If need to - What folder should I copy in windows Vista64? :?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 01 Aug 2008

Hi gadol,

To back up all the data for all the symbols ever collected by MultiCharts, copy the databases located in

"%allusersprofile%\AppData\Local\TS Support\MultiChars\DataBases"

TJ

Postby TJ » 01 Aug 2008

it would be nice if you can put a backup button in QM...

just click the button, and QM would ask you where you would like to backup to.

even better is a one button restore...
(though I don't think it is really necessary. But you'd never know... most of the users are not computer geeks, it is a welcoming assurance that backup and restore is being looked after.)

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 01 Aug 2008

Hi TJ,

You can automate the process by writing a .bat file.

TJ

Postby TJ » 01 Aug 2008

Hi TJ,

You can automate the process by writing a .bat file.
if only we are computer geeks... we can do many wonderful things without your intervention.

sigh

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 07 Sep 2008

Yes, we are Traders not programmers. Many of us need all the help we can get on the programming side. Pushing a button makes more sense to us than editing the registry or creating new database locations or batch files.
It should be as easy to backup and restore symbols and data, as it is for studies, which you made very quick and easy to do.

drwar

Postby drwar » 07 Sep 2008

[quote]Hi TJ,

You can automate the process by writing a .bat file.[/quote]

From a traders point of view the MOST important thing is Data and data accuracy. accurate charts come in a close second , Indicators and then all else comes after that. If you are using esignal the cost and time associated with maintaining data dwarf's the cost of MC. In the scope of things this is a very telling response.

J~

Nick

Postby Nick » 09 Sep 2008

Data management is (imo) one of the 'core' functions that need to be 101%. I'd like to see backup and restore, integrity checking (look for holes in a specified range), DB compacting, tick filter, easier ways to reload a section of data etc. Oh and a way to splice the new front month to make a 'continuous' contract (preferably automatically and with the option of back adjusting or not).

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Sep 2008

Data management is (imo) one of the 'core' functions that need to be 101%. I'd like to see backup and restore, integrity checking (look for holes in a specified range), DB compacting, tick filter, easier ways to reload a section of data etc. Oh and a way to splice the new front month to make a 'continuous' contract (preferably automatically and with the option of back adjusting or not).
Hi Nick,

We keep improving data management all the time. We are planning to implement database compacting, tick filter with user-defined parameters, data reload for the specified period (1 day back etc). Continuous contracts have been also planned for a while. We are working on all that. ETA will be known later.

Best regards,

Marina Pashkova

geizer

Script to backup the Databases

Postby geizer » 10 Jan 2009

Here is simple script to backup the symbol databases. May save some time.
It Archives all the Data for all the Symbols collected and stored by Multicharts.

How it works:
1. Looks for any files in the following folder:
"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiChars\Databases\"
2.It archives all files found in that folder.
3. Resulting archive called "Multicharts_Databases_archived.rar" and stored in the "My documents" folder of current user.
4. If archive already exists, the script will update the files with new.
5. Script adds comment to archive with Date and Time it was created.
5. Deletes the temporary files that it created in the temporary folder.

What it does not do:
1. It does not handle errors such as if files and/or folders are read only or don't exist.

Comments/Requirements:
1. The script looks for WinRar archiver installed in default folder. If you don't have the WinRar the script will not work.
2. Multicharts should be installed in its default folder.
3. If "My Documents" folder spelled differently in your localized version of Windows, or you customized the name/location of this folder, the script will need to be modified.
4. If "Program Files" folder spelled differently in your localized version of Windows then the script will not work and will need to be modified.

Use it at your own risk.
Any ideas or modifications welcome
Attachments
Backup_MC_databases.zip
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

radekj

Postby radekj » 10 Jan 2009

Look at Microsoft SyncToy, is for free.

Return to “MultiCharts”