Scan trade integration & loading symbols

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dougb

Scan trade integration & loading symbols

Postby dougb » 06 Nov 2008

1 ) Is it possible to automatically send the symbol list generated from a scan to a trading strategy ?

2 ) Is it possible to load an entire list of stock symbols instead of selecting and loading them one at a time within the quote manager ?

Thanks,

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 06 Nov 2008

Hi doug,
1 ) Is it possible to automatically send the symbol list generated from a scan to a trading strategy ?
It is not possible yet. However, your question is perfectly logical. Obviously, when you scan symbols based on certain criteria and find those that best match what you are looking for, the next logical step would be to trade those symbols. For us, it has not been clear so far what exactly should be done to those symbols? How do you see such a mechanism working?

Actually, if you think about it, this mechanism comes very close to portfolio trading (e.g. capital allocation considerations come into play etc). Portfolio trading is something that we have already started to work on. Soon, portfolio will be updated in real-time generating new trades that will be sent to the broker for execution. In this portfolio trading module, you will be able to

1. Use different resolutions
2. Apply different signals to different symbol groups
3. Analyze performance by symbols
4. Analyze performance by strategies
5. View trades in the trade manager window

2 ) Is it possible to load an entire list of stock symbols instead of selecting and loading them one at a time within the quote manager ?
It is possible to bulk-add symbols into QuoteManager via ASCII-mapping (see here how: http://www.tssupport.com/sergee/symbol_list_import.zip). After you have mapped all those symbols, just bulk-add them from QuoteManager. If you need help with that, simply contact our customer support representatives via LiveChat.

dougb

Postby dougb » 07 Nov 2008

Your comments regarding scanning features are well taken and would be very valuable. Here are some additional thoughts along this line.

An integrated scanner should have the capability to set scan frequency, rank results, set time of day to do the scanning, apply customized filters, allow control over how much data is scanned and provide for progressive scans (result of first scan is used to feed subsequent scans). The last two features would help with speed. The resultant symbol list would be automatically "sent to" a trading strategy to generate orders as determined by the strategy.

With this type of scanner an exact number of symbols with specific characteristics could be selected and sent to a trading strategy.

Secondly . . .
I downloaded the symbol list file and when I opened the list using notepad as the tutorial suggested it was just a bunch of random looking characters. Not a list of symbols. I also noticed the symbol file did not have a " .txt" suffix as shown in the tutorial. Perhaps I received the wrong symbol file or did something wrong.

drwar

Postby drwar » 07 Nov 2008

Marina
There is a quick and dirty way for you to implement a scan feature which would filter trades. Its actually the basis for one of the things I requested. If you would allow import of a symbol/resolution list into the scanner it is easily accomplished. Here is how.

1) Scanner - Filtering indicator writes symbol/resolution list to file for all symbols that meet trade criteria.
2) When step one is complete Manually import filtered symbol / resolution list into scanner workspace setup with trade signals .

This would go a long way towards meeting this feature albeit semi-automatic it still has great power. It should also force the user to be very aware of what symbols are imported. Automatically adding symbols to a scanner window setup with signals to trade can be dangerous to your financial health if there are bugs in your code.

J~

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Nov 2008

Secondly . . .
I downloaded the symbol list file and when I opened the list using notepad as the tutorial suggested it was just a bunch of random looking characters. Not a list of symbols. I also noticed the symbol file did not have a " .txt" suffix as shown in the tutorial. Perhaps I received the wrong symbol file or did something wrong.
Hi dougb,

If you want you can send me the file and I'll have a look at it to see what might be wrong.

Regards.

dougb

Postby dougb » 17 Nov 2008

I figured it out. Thanks for your offer.

Return to “MultiCharts”