Autotrading with MC ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
alpha

Autotrading with MC ?

Postby alpha » 29 Dec 2008

When trying to automate MC to IB using Build 1781 does anyone know why the error messages such as - "you can't buy 1 unit of this cross" disappear so quick you can't view them? is there a way to view error messages in chronological order or do they all just disappear into the ether.... Is there an error log in MC?

Having looked through the Forum I'm interested to know if anyone is autotrading fx with MC to IB's IdealPro (or in fact any other broker) 6 days a week with ANY version of MC?

Thanks

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 03 Jan 2009

The logs are in:
<user profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\<version>\Logs
For some reason the location of the logs in not in any documentation (Marina previously posted it to this forum).

MC is sorely lacking a Trade Manager feature that presents this data in a meaningful way. This should be priority #1. Autotrading is made prohibitively difficult without the ability to audit software actions and find the cause of problems.

alpha

Postby alpha » 03 Jan 2009

Hi BrendanH

Thanks for the error log info. And Yes a TradeManager would be good (necessary) provided I could work out how to configure the fx symbols to start with so when my system buys it doesn't treat the cross as a stock and buy 2% of the required amount. So a USER GUIDE with typical settings for fx with IB, perhaps with a few cheap pics would be the first stop. Most odd how thats not available after IB's been MC's main broker for all this time?

I've read that auto trading is available to two other fx brokers but I can find no reference to HOW TO or SETUP information. In short there is NO documentation, no manual for settings, no quick start, no guidance whatsoever.

Thanks

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 03 Jan 2009

There is general autotrading documentation (Help, Multicharts, Strategy Trading, Autotrading), but nothing describing many IB broker settings such as All or None Execution, Connection settings, Setting Firm, and there needs to be examples of commonly traded instruments in Symbol Dictionary.

If it's any help, my SD entry for TS symbol EURUSD is Chart Symbol: EURUSD, Underlying: EUR, Exchange: IDEALPRO, Expiry: blank, Currency: USD, Category: Forex.
Last edited by brendanh on 08 Jan 2009, edited 1 time in total.

alpha

Postby alpha » 03 Jan 2009

Thanks BrendanH. It is possible that as I have two data sources for each cross that has thrown MC settings so when I came to load the IB settings they were hosed. So I have deleted all fx symbols and when the market starts up again Sunday try to rebuild fx symbol list from IB with standard settings.

Thanks.

Return to “MultiCharts”