What release will have futures concatenation.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

What release will have futures concatenation.

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Mar 2009

What release will have futures concatenation and is this considered to not be a symbol change from a tool retention standpoint.

If that short question is not clear let me explain (and do the exact opposite to keeping it short :D )

If the tools are correctly now attached to the symbol rather than the chart and since I only use (RSI + Bollinger Bands + Wave Projections + Wave Boundaries) for my strategy and thus do not use any of the tools as they are properly meant to be used (I use the tools as fixed $profit measures and fixed time measures) I currently us tool "attached to the chart" as MC 2.1.999.999 does it. To Explain this better, the problem with Qcharts which used "tool attached to the symbol" was when the futures rolled over I lost all my tool settings and had to rebuild them. MC 2.1.999.999 fixed this (an unexpected surprise benefit of moving to MC). It sounds like that benefit will be lost in the coming releases (not a big deal if the trader only has one such setting but a bigger problem if they have several of them with different color codings etc). Now if the futures can be concatenated such that when the new symbol comes in, these tool settings I have set up are not lost, then that solves both the "Qcharts tools lost problem" and the "futures change over problem", which of course solves loosing all those charts and the ability to project those waves too. It should also please the traders who want the "tool attached to the symbol" default as well.

Another way to solve this is to have some new fixed $profit measure and time measure tools which will not be attached to the symbol or which adapt to the symbol automatically they are placed on. I am not sure how the first of these would work. Maybe the trader could enter a dollar amount and the number of lines they want the tool to span and it would automatically space the lines (color-coded) based upon the symbol on the chart at the moment. That is basically what I am manually doing now with the Fobonacci Retracement Price Lines. The lines represent increments of $50 profit for one contract and the total span is $400. You might have guessed it "I do not have snap on or my settings will be lost". This is another reason to have the snap controlled by the tool once it is highlighted to be first placed or moved or adjusted. Regarding creating new fix time measure tools they could also adapt to the chart when they are first placed on (minutes between the lines and the number of lines to be placed all color coded if the trader wanted).

The other way to solve this is to have a custom tool bar like TS4.0 use to have that can store an unlimited number of user settings. It is a little surprising MC does not have this because TS4.0 was really old and if MC can store settings attached to a symbol surely it is not too much more difficult storing them attached to a custom tool button. Are there any plans to put in this feature too?

Another short way to ask this question :wink: "Has backward compatibility with this (fixed $profit) and (fixed time measure) use of tools been lost?" Do the fixed measure tools vanish from the chart when the new futures symbol is put on the chart or is there a way to retain the trader's work? Does snap mode still screw up the settings if the trader forgets to switch it off every time they move these tools (does text still snap when you don't want it to snap)? If snap mode is still a problem can the trader see at a glance if it is on or off?

Thanks,
John.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 28 Mar 2009

It looks like the nail is in the coffin for upgrading for me. However, on the bright side, TSS could always sell MC 2.1.999.999 as "MC lite" at a lower price to some of us discretionary traders and keep those features I mention without having to put out any extra work. I have had two people ask me to teach them so I may set up a mini trading school some day when I am too old to stay awake during the trading day. Official name "The wake me up trading school" because students wake me up to ask questions :-) - - - MC lite would be the software I would want to use (2 to 4 copies sold or more maybe if it goes well). However it would be nice if that occasional abort I get would be fixed. That is the main reason I have for upgrading. Everything else is fairly trivial for me.

Return to “MultiCharts”