MC sends and receives data when symbols are disconnected

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Tresor

MC sends and receives data when symbols are disconnected

Postby Tresor » 11 Apr 2009

Hello Guys,

I just noticed that when I disconnect all symbols in QM, my MC constantly (every second) sends and receives packets of data via Internet. I am attaching a screenshot of it.

When I shut down MC, no packets are received or sent.

How often does MC connects to DRM server? Can the situation described in the screenshot be caused by yet another MC proccess (other than connecting to DRM server)?

Regards
Attachments
MC accesses internet constantly.png
(126.85 KiB) Downloaded 511 times

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 11 Apr 2009

TSS is watching you every single thing you do...........

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 Apr 2009

that must be expensive if you are using 3G wireless.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 11 Apr 2009

Lots of things access TCP and UDP ports when your computer runs. I use a free program called ActivePorts to see what is going on sometimes. It is a small program and does not take up much memory or CPU.
http://www.devicelock.com/freeware.html

Another good free utility to actually watch ALL your computer activity in real time is Mark Russinovich's (Sysinternals) Process Monitor. It is Awesome and will blow you away if you are a computer nerd. You can watch everytime your computer access the internet, which program, where it's going to and how much it is sending. It is just short of a packet sniffer.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx
if you scroll to the bottom of the webpage, you can run it without installing. Just click on: "Run Process Monitor now from Live.Sysinternals.com"
See my attached pic to configure and run. You ONLY want "network activity" to be turned on - make sure the other 4 icons are turned off or you will get TMI. That is all there is to it.
Attachments
ProcessMonitor2.jpg
(329.37 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
ActivePorts.jpg
(105.28 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 12 Apr 2009

Thanks RobotMan,

I'll have a closer look at Active Port software. But it's for sure MC in my case that receives and sends data.

MC receives and sends data when Server Mode is set to ''Online'' and symbols in QM are disconnected. I do not mind if it is the way it should be. I was just wondering what data are sent and received. Maybe DRM?

When set to ''Offiline'' no data of course is sent and received.

Regards

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 14 Apr 2009

Tresor,
MultiCharts has an performance optimization that causes the affect your described.
When you work in online mode (have charts opened or connected symbols in QM) the program initiates connection to your data feed. If you close all charts and disconnect all symbols the connection will still exist.
It was done, because people tend to open and close charts and complain that connection takes too long even if it could be done for a second.
So you should exit MultiCharts and see that tsserver.exe is closed.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 14 Apr 2009

OK, thanks Andrew

Return to “MultiCharts”