How does DRM work?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

How does DRM work?

Postby 2haerim » 10 May 2009

I've been testing DRM to see it working correctly.

[Test One]

[1] I run MC on PC A with my id_1(lifetime license).
[2] I run MC on PC B with the same id again. DRM asks me if I would terminate the session on PC A to complete authorization on PC B. I answer No expecting that I would be able to work on "Offline" mode on PC B while working on Online on PC A. However, MC simply closes itself on PC B. So, I couldn't run MC on PC B to work Offline.

Isn't it allowed to run MC on two PCs: one Online and the other Offline?

[Test Two]

[1] I run MC on PC A with my id_1(lifetime license).
[2] I run MC on PC B with the same id again. DRM asks me if I would terminate the session on PC A to complete authorization on PC B. I answer
Yes. Now PC B is Authorized and PC A is Not Authorized. I thought PC A would not receive realtime data any more, but would allow working Offline only. However, PC A continues working on Online receiving all realtime and history data. Nothing changed on PC A except the "Not Authorized" marker.

I am very much confused about the way of DRM working.

Both tests were done using tsGSDataFeed on V5 Beta 6.

Can somenone clarify this issue?

arnie

Postby arnie » 10 May 2009

Hi 2haerim.

I've been asking that same question for a couple of weeks now.

I've read that we could run the same MC license in 2 PC's at the same time, being one connect realtime and the other in offline mode, but I confess that I'm not being able to do that since the DRM versions came out.

Even when we chose to stay offline, the DRM still connects to the servers and check the license.

Though I understand the DRM connection to the servers, since otherwise people could use MC regardless having paid for it or not in offline mode, at the end this restrict the offline usage for those who paid.

Regards,
Fernando

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 May 2009

Hi guys,

Let me clarify how authorization works.

First of all, the offline and online data server modes work completely independently of and are separate from authorization. If you select the offline mode, MC will only use data from the database. If you select the online mode, MC will take data from the database and access the provider's servers to download data.

Authorization system is something else. It is meant to check if you have the right to run MC at all. It makes sure that (a) you are licensed to use MC; (b) that you are only doing that on one PC at a time. If you already have MC running on a machine, you will not be allowed to use the program on the second machine at all - unless you disconnect the first session.

If you disconnect the first session, you will be able to run a session on the second PC. Real-time data in the charts on the first disconnected PC will stop coming in. At the same time, you will still be able to receive real-time data in QuoteManager or receive history from a data feed in your charts.

HaeRim, I am not sure what you mean when you say that after disconnecting the first session you continue receiving real-time data in your charts. Real-time data in your charts might keep coming in for another 2 minutes, after which it stops. We have checked this behavior multiple times. If you keep receiving real-time, please let me know.

Return to “MultiCharts”