Autotrading resiliance and labour-saving

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
brendanh

Autotrading resiliance and labour-saving

Postby brendanh » 08 Jun 2009

In TS, if I save a workspace containing autotrading-enabled charts, the AT status is saved along with the other attributes of the chart. When I load this workspace, I am warned "The following windows contain strategies that are automated for execution" and I can choose to load all charts with the AT attribute either AT-enabled or disabled with a single click. In MC, I have to manually re-enable autotrading individually in all charts every time I load such a workspace. This is an unnecessary chore.

Likewise, if MC disconnects from broker, AT is disabled in all charts simultaneously. However, to re-enable autotrading I must do so in each chart individually. This is fine for workspaces containing only one autotrading chart, but with many, it becomes difficult to manage and unreliable due to potential user error. I think it would be better and more robust for there to be a Global Automate Order Execution (GAOE) option on the File menu, which when enabled will enable AT in all charts that have the AT-on attribute. Charts with the AT-on attribute, but not actively autotrading due to broker-disconnect or GAOE disabled, could be denoted with an amber icon in the top-left, which would turn green when the Global Automate Order Execution option is enabled. The usual disclaimers\warnings would be displayed when enabling both chart-AT-attribute and GAOE.

When loading a workspace containing charts with the AT-on attribute, if GAOE is enabled, you are asked the same question as TS asks, if you answer yes, all charts would be loaded AT-enabled (green icon), without having to enable AT individually. If GAOE is disabled, the option to enable it should be offered.

At the end of the day, we are traders, not clerks. Anything that reduces the burdon of clicking\typing while not overcomplicating the interface is an improvement. As MC matures and becomes used by heavy autotraders that rely on it every day for income, this feature will make the product much more manageable.
Last edited by brendanh on 14 Jun 2009, edited 4 times in total.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 08 Jun 2009

+ 1 Support

ventus

Re: Autotrading resiliance and labour-saving

Postby ventus » 02 Sep 2010

In TS, if I save a workspace containing autotrading-enabled charts, the AT status is saved along with the other attributes of the chart. When I load this workspace, I am warned "The following windows contain strategies that are automated for execution" and I can choose to load all charts with the AT attribute either AT-enabled or disabled with a single click. In MC, I have to manually re-enable autotrading individually in all charts every time I load such a workspace. This is an unnecessary chore.

I'm surprised more people haven't been complaining about the lack of a "global strategy automation" feature. TS, with all their flaws and issues, definitely has this feature done correctly with the ability to save the automated execution status for every strategy-enabled chart so there's no need to click every single chart every single time you restart or get disconnected. This is a crucial feature for a platform that claims to be "Trading software for professional automated trading".

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Sep 2010

Dear brendanh,

This is a very interesting idea indeed. It is very likely that we will implement this feature in the future versions.

ventus

Postby ventus » 03 Sep 2010

appreciate it dave. it may seem like a fairly small feature to work on, but for those of us that trade multiple strategies on multiple markets and timeframes, this is a crucial feature that will save us a whole lot of time, reduce operational errors, and increase scalability... all of which are main selling points for automated trading platforms.

just last month i had two separate instances where i've had to manually re-enable strategies on all 40 of my charts during market hours, causing me to miss some extremely profitable trades. trading is frustrating enough as is, but to watch profitable trades slip away simply because i couldn't click on little boxes fast enough seems a little silly to me...especially since i'm supposed to be "autotrading".

but anywho, definitely looking forward to this feature release more than any others. thanks again to dave and the rest of the team for all their hard work.

ventus

Postby ventus » 30 Sep 2010

something like this...
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Autotrade all buttons
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 479 times

Return to “MultiCharts”