Scanner Inputs

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
shortski

Scanner Inputs

Postby shortski » 13 Jun 2009

Hi all.. I am trying to get a Custom Indicator to work in the Scanner. The Indicator only plots when a condition exists so it is not a continuous plot. It is set to a histogram and I get Green bars for a Bullish Condition and Red for a Bearish condition. When I inserted the indicator in the scanner, it doesn't give me a return at all.

Is there a way to set it up to show either a green or red return of some kind when the condition exists?

Thanks

Shortski

shortski

Hard to believe that...

Postby shortski » 15 Jun 2009

...126 people that have looked at this post and not a single reply. Is anyone using the Scanner to scan for conditions or is it just reporting the value of your indicators?

TJ

Re: Hard to believe that...

Postby TJ » 15 Jun 2009

...126 people that have looked at this post and not a single reply. Is anyone using the Scanner to scan for conditions or is it just reporting the value of your indicators?

because your description has not been much help.

you have to give a bit more detail...
(a diagram might help)

or if you have tried already, post your "working" codes.

shortski

Sorry

Postby shortski » 16 Jun 2009

The Indicator I put in the Scanner was an Oscillator Divergence. I guess my question is, "What can you scan for?" I have looked at a few other things and all I get are values being returned so how do you input for a condition? When this was being developed, I thought Signals would be the likely input but the Scanner doesn't accept Signals. Is there a way to scan for MACD crossover and get a Red or Green bar or something?

TJ

Re: Sorry

Postby TJ » 16 Jun 2009

The Indicator I put in the Scanner was an Oscillator Divergence. I guess my question is, "What can you scan for?" I have looked at a few other things and all I get are values being returned so how do you input for a condition? When this was being developed, I thought Signals would be the likely input but the Scanner doesn't accept Signals.
I think it works the other way around...
get the scanner to execute signals.

Is there a way to scan for MACD crossover and get a Red or Green bar or something?

red or green bar?
I am not sure if I understand you.

for scanner, you can get the cell color to change to red or green.

tip: until MC's tutorial/manual is ready,
go watch TS's online video tutorial... LOL
MC is not the same as TS, but you will get an idea of the scanner functions.

shortski

TS

I can't view a TS video as I am not a client. They used to have this feature available but discontinued it awhile ago. But I am a MC client.

As far as viewing Red or Green bars goes, what I meant was in a histogram, you have red or green bars (I do anyway), so if the condition was showing a red bar, this is what the scanner would show and vice versa for green. If there was no divergence and therefore no bars being plotted, then nothing.

shortski

I will try to post a jpg

In sub chart 2 and 3, I have the standard MACD and the 2003 modified MACD. Included in the sub charts are the Oscillator Divergences for each indicator. This is what I would like to scan for.[/img]
Attachments
ScreenShot.jpg
MMM Daily
(212.58 KiB) Downloaded 688 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Jun 2009

the TS video is still available for non-clients.
https://www.TS.com/support/tu ... screen.htm

MultiCharts is not the same as TS.
This video is only to give you an idea of what you can do with scanning.

shortski

Thanks but

I used to be a TS client. I was hoping MC would have this kind of versatility. I will play with it some more and see if I can get some kind of scanning to work but it looks like I will have to go to StockFetcher or some other site at his point.

Marina Pashkova

Re: Scanner Inputs

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Jun 2009

Hi all.. I am trying to get a Custom Indicator to work in the Scanner. The Indicator only plots when a condition exists so it is not a continuous plot. It is set to a histogram and I get Green bars for a Bullish Condition and Red for a Bearish condition. When I inserted the indicator in the scanner, it doesn't give me a return at all.

Is there a way to set it up to show either a green or red return of some kind when the condition exists?

Thanks

Shortski
Hi Shortski,

From what we understand, you would like to emulate NoPlot in Scanner.
You can achieve that by converting values into strings and when a condition is not met, an empty string will be created.

if condition1 then
plot1(NumToStr(close,4), "PlotName", green)
else
if condition2 then
plot1(NumToStr(close,4), "PlotName", red)
else
plot1("", "PlotName");

Return to “MultiCharts”