How to clear cache?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

How to clear cache?

Postby 2haerim » 02 Jul 2009

I had some ticks for today and had to remove them completely from QM database and from the cache.

I opened QM and checked there were some ticks for today and selected them all and deleted. Then I right-clicked the symbol from QM and clicked Clear cache and pressed Yes. I double checked QM did not load any ticks for today. Then closed QM.

Next, I reopened QM and there still exists the ticks for today.

What is the correct way to clear ticks and cache?

Maybe this could be a bug.

Tested with MC V5.0 Gold Release.

wegi

Postby wegi » 03 Jul 2009

hi,

i had the same problem, and i had to correct the tickdata,
and the minute data.

in my tests, it was enough to correct the minute data.
but i also what fine tickdata.

Wegi

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 22 Jul 2009

HaeRim,

Did you have a chart plotted for this symbol or did you have it connected in QuoteManager while you were deleting the data and clearing the cache?

Thank you.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 22 Jul 2009

It's quite a long time ago, and I can't remember it exactly.

But, I tried to my best to make sure the cache get cleared and failed.

Now I will repeat the test again and here is the scenario:

I feed ticks using my own simulated data feed program to send tick by tick as I want.

[1] MC V5.5 Beta 3 opened and a 10-tick chart for today only is plotted using tsGSDatafeed. The chart showed no data as expected.
[2] I started feed tick by tick until I see several bars.
[3] I close MC first.
[4] QM opened and more than 100 ticks were loaded for today as expected.
[5] All data selected and deleted. Confirmed by reloading to see no data.
[6] Cleared the cache.
[7] Deleted data from the GlobalServer to make sure no data would be downloaded next time MC is open.
[8] MC reopened and the same 10 tick chart opened and I see the same bars again. This is wrong because I completely deleted all data from QM and GlobalServer and no more realtime/history ticks exited in both QM and GlobalServer for today.
[9] Finally, I checked the QM by Edit data and see no ticks at all for today. This is right becaue I deleted all.
[10] From [8] and [9], it is clear that somewhere the deleted data resurrected or not deleted at all and QM doesn't even know they survived.

You should be able to reproduce this issue if you exactly follow as above.

Also see the attached screen shot for MC and QM. QM clearly do not show ticks at all bug MC plots the same bars again after reopened.

Please check.
Attachments
CacheNotCleared.PNG
(103.22 KiB) Downloaded 1066 times

geektrader

Postby geektrader » 23 Jul 2009

I can confirm this as well, whenever I cleared the cache and use "Delete Data" afterwards, then opened "Edit data" in Quotemanager and it was not showing any data anymore for the symbol, it still had data left when re-plotting the chart afterwards. There is definetely something wrong here with MC not clearing all data correctly for a symbol.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 24 Jul 2009

It's quite a long time ago, and I can't remember it exactly.

But, I tried to my best to make sure the cache get cleared and failed.

Now I will repeat the test again and here is the scenario:

I feed ticks using my own simulated data feed program to send tick by tick as I want.

[1] MC V5.5 Beta 3 opened and a 10-tick chart for today only is plotted using tsGSDatafeed. The chart showed no data as expected.
[2] I started feed tick by tick until I see several bars.
[3] I close MC first.
[4] QM opened and more than 100 ticks were loaded for today as expected.
[5] All data selected and deleted. Confirmed by reloading to see no data.
[6] Cleared the cache.
[7] Deleted data from the GlobalServer to make sure no data would be downloaded next time MC is open.
[8] MC reopened and the same 10 tick chart opened and I see the same bars again. This is wrong because I completely deleted all data from QM and GlobalServer and no more realtime/history ticks exited in both QM and GlobalServer for today.
[9] Finally, I checked the QM by Edit data and see no ticks at all for today. This is right becaue I deleted all.
[10] From [8] and [9], it is clear that somewhere the deleted data resurrected or not deleted at all and QM doesn't even know they survived.

You should be able to reproduce this issue if you exactly follow as above.

Also see the attached screen shot for MC and QM. QM clearly do not show ticks at all bug MC plots the same bars again after reopened.

Please check.
Hi HaeRim,

Between steps [6] and [7], you should have closed QuoteManager and wait till tsServer.exe had terminated.

----
To speed up chart plotting, the data is saved within tsShaper.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 24 Jul 2009

Between steps [6] and [7], you should have closed QuoteManager and wait till tsServer.exe had terminated.

----
You are right and I can finally clean up everything.

However, why not clean up tsShaper as well as QM's database when I click "Clear Cache" from QM directly and have to close QM first to replot a chart?

Do I always have to close MC/QM/tsServer to simply clean up a symbol's data even if it is a small amount of ticks or whatever?

Maybe it would be an alternative to have the following options:
- "Clear Cache from QM only"
- "Clear Cache from both QM and tsShaper"

I think when people try to delete and clear Cache, they literally believe everything is gone.

traderstuff

Postby traderstuff » 26 Jul 2009

I agree with HaeRim, this would make things easier and more intuitive for a lot of users.

One further clarification, I believe a Long time ago it was mentioned that Deleting a contract in QM got rid of All the data, is this still true?

For instance, a trader has 70 days of collected 24 hour tick data collected live from IB for the ESM9 contract.
That contract is deleted from QM, the machine rebooted, a new contract is charted and 5 days of 24 hour ESU9 data is downloaded.

Will All of the deleted contracts data be purged from the system?

Is there any way to Defrag and Compact the data Database?

Best,

----
You are right and I can finally clean up everything.

However, why not clean up tsShaper as well as QM's database when I click "Clear Cache" from QM directly and have to close QM first to replot a chart?

Do I always have to close MC/QM/tsServer to simply clean up a symbol's data even if it is a small amount of ticks or whatever?

Maybe it would be an alternative to have the following options:
- "Clear Cache from QM only"
- "Clear Cache from both QM and tsShaper"

I think when people try to delete and clear Cache, they literally believe everything is gone.

Return to “MultiCharts”