GlobalVariables.dll ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
SUPER

GlobalVariables.dll ?

Postby SUPER » 02 Dec 2009

1) I need some clarification with regard to replacement of pre-installed Gloablvariables.dll with GlobalVariables 2.2. I tried to delete pre-installed GV and found that it is integral part of MC and it gets installed automatically after deleting it when one attempts to run MC again.

2) Is it possible to have GlobalVariables 2.2 installed on separate directory other then Multichart. for example "c:\windows\system32" and it can be used without interfering with the pre-installed GV on Multichart Directory.

Will appreciate suggestions.

regards
Super

Spaceant

Re: GlobalVariables.dll ?

Postby Spaceant » 02 Dec 2009

1) I need some clarification with regard to replacement of pre-installed Gloablvariables.dll with GlobalVariables 2.2. I tried to delete pre-installed GV and found that it is integral part of MC and it gets installed automatically after deleting it when one attempts to run MC again.

2) Is it possible to have GlobalVariables 2.2 installed on separate directory other then Multichart. for example "c:\windows\system32" and it can be used without interfering with the pre-installed GV on Multichart Directory.

Will appreciate suggestions.

regards
Super
Hi Super,

I am new to this and have started to tested with the preinstalled GV functions. I sometimes, found that this is not reliable - sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. Prehaps, I have not fully master it well or there is sometime wrong with the preinstalled GV functions.

Why do you want to remove the preinstalled one and install 2.2?

Sa

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 03 Dec 2009

Hi SpaceAnt

This thread gives you all the info to get started with GV2.2, ELcollections and ADE. I personally would upgrade to GV2.2 as per the instructions.
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?=&p=8189

Note that ELcollections can be a bit hard to understand. I put an addition to the documentation at the very end of the above thread. It is exactly the same as the original documentation but it has an example of the ListC.ReadFile command.

Few I suspect are doing this but if you are by chance running TS and MultiCharts on the same machine and want them to share data you need to install the GV2.2 DLL in the C:\Windows\System32 directory and change all the wrapper functions to point there instead.

John.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 03 Dec 2009

John,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Since GV 2.2 is the latest version + functionality + bug fixed + use with other programs makes it an ideal choice to have. I did manage to replace it with the pr-installed version of MC and it seems to work well, the only thing is that next time I upgrade MC, I may have to re-install it again as there is a good possibility that during upgrade the pre-installed GV will creap in.
Few I suspect are doing this but if you are by chance running TS and MultiCharts on the same machine and want them to share data you need to install the GV2.2 DLL in the C:\Windows\System32 directory and change all the wrapper functions to point there instead
Your are absolutely correct on this point, I have tried it out and it works well with TS and MC on same PC

Thanks and Regards
Super

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 04 Dec 2009

John,

It appears to me that you have spent quite some time in exploring these three DLLs. Can you tell me (or clarify whether my understanding is right or not for) the following questions / understanding? .... it will make life easier if you can point me with the correct info.

1) GV works alone while you may use ADE with ELCollection. But you can't work with the three TOGETHER.

2) We can't backtest strategy with GV while we can do it with ADE, right?

3) GV can past data from MC to TS or vice versa while ADE + ELCollection can't.

4) Obviously, there is no superiority when we talk about GV versus ADE + ELCollection. Otherwise, the post won't post the three downloads. Am I right? If this understanding is right, there must be something that GV can do which won't work with ADE + ELCollection; and the other way round.

5) Can you tell us with one usage (or more if you don't mind) in which GV can do while ADE + ELCollection can't? .... and another example that ADE + ELCollection can do while GV can't. .................

Well, I want to ask more, but the above are the keys that I want to know. The ansewers will be very helpful to a new starter like me.

Thanks in advance!!

Sa

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 04 Dec 2009

Hi spaceant,

#1 Once you get everything installed you can work with GVs or ELcollections or ADE in any combination.

#2 I don't really backtest with MC but I don't think there is a restriction that you are suggesting. GVs, ELcollections and ADE are only tools for passing data around. Once you have analysed the data and made a decision in your program to enter and exit it is only then that backtesting comes into play (to analyse the performance of these entries and exists).

#3 GV can if you set it up correctly. There is a share command in ELcollections. You may be able to pass data between TS and MC this way. Someone else who runs TS and MC may have done that. I only use MC.

#4 They are just different. I think the best thing to do is just install them and read the documentation. With that knowledge you will have the answers.

#5 Same answer as #4. Knowledge is power and getting that knowledge should be fun (frame it as fun). Keep that in mind and you will gather it 15 times faster such that it seems almost effortless.

Regarding thanks, "No problem".
John.

Return to “MultiCharts”