Can I copy the MC6.0 datafiles to computer2 for offline work

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Can I copy the MC6.0 datafiles to computer2 for offline work

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 Dec 2009

I just downloaded 6.0 beta1. It is Saturday and I have to wait for the IB data feed before I can get the e-mini data down in the new file format. I have a question so I don’t screw myself up.

The short version question:
Can I copy the MC6.0 data files to my notebook computer for offline (no internet feed) use.
Specifically 1/ viewing and 2/ replay. It is a critical function for me (see below).

The longer version of the same question:
With MC2.1.999.999, every night, I copy the 3 database files to my notebook and run MC 2.1.999.999 off site with my notebook with no internet feed and practice my discretionary triggering system using the days charts. My concern is that with MC3.0 beta I could not get this copy over to the notebook to work (another one of the major reasons I have not upgrades beyond MC2.1.999.999 since this feature of being able to copy to the notebook is a “MUST HAVE” feature for me). So am I going to have the same problem with MC6.0 as I had with MC3.0?

Thanks,
John.

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Dec 2009

I remember Andrew gave this official word: (sorry I can't find the post)

You can install MC in as many computers as you like,
but you can only run ONE MC at a time, regardless of online or offline.

bowlesj3

Yes I think the policy is the same. I assume it was a MC3.0 bug of some sort. I guess the question is better revised "has anyone tried this yet with success using MC6.0"?

If worst comes to worst I could run MC2.1.999.999 on the notebook at night (separate file download) and maybe MC6.0 on the desktop during the day (different download to the new file structure). The only problem with this is IB closes Friday so the notebook Friday download would not be available for the weekend unless I shut down trading early on Friday to do the notebook download.

geektrader

Postby geektrader » 19 Dec 2009

I am not sure as for the copying, BUT, I can tell you that since a few weeks, IB has the historical market data server turned on all weekend. Currently it´s saturday and I have just downloaded the last 2 weeks of tick-data for EURUSD from Interactive Brokers. The Market Data Farm + Historical Data Server is always working on weekend now.

bowlesj3

Thanks geektrader,

I will have to give that a try. Yah I have not tried a TWS log on over the weekend in many months now. Yes I just tried and it came up. Cool! So I guess I would just copy my databases for MC 2.1.999.999 and let the 6.0 do its thing to start afresh

Regarding TJs
but you can only run ONE MC at a time, regardless of online or offline.
I have gotten pretty good at remembering to shut off the main computer MC before copying the files and taking the notebook offsite to run MC. I can't sit at the computer all day then do that again at night much. Need a change of location.

John.

Return to “MultiCharts”