[edited:] The collaborative 2 cents:
List of GUI improvements which, if implemented, would make lives of MultiCharts users feel lot better:
KEYBOARD & MOUSE SHORTCUTS:
1. Copy & Paste Ctrl+C , Ctrl+V for all drawing objects on the charts. Please allow copy & paste drawings between windows - useful mostly for text objects. (productivity, Win GUI consistency)
2. Undo & Redo Ctrl+Z , Ctrl+Y for operations with chart objects (productivity, Win GUI consistency)
3. Move & copy drawing objects freely between SubCharts. (productivity)
4. Copy drawing objects by dragging and dropping while holding the Ctrl key. (productivity, same as MS Word)
5. Select multiple drawing objects by holding Shift key (productivity, same behavior as MS Word).
6. Copy, paste, and move multiple drawing objects selected together. (productivity, Win GUI consisency)
7. De-select drawing objects, Indicators, or Data series, with ESC key. (productivity, MultiCharts GUI consistency)
8. De-select any selected object(s) when chart window becomes "Inactive". (annoyance reduction, helps to keep charts clean. Reduces amount of clicks).
9. Lock Toolbars in their positions so they remain where they were. (Right-click, -> Lock Toolbars). (Removes Annoyances, Productivity. Win GUI consistency)
10. RAPID SCROLLING: [Alt]+Mouse Wheel
Rapid Chart Scrolling when holding the ALT key. When activated, the mouse wheel scrolling speed increases by 10x (or something like that). This should work for all windows (Scanner, Order & Position Tracker, Quote Manager). To improve even more, please implement activating a window by hovering over it with the mouse. Something like this:http://www.microsoft.com/enable/trainin ... hover.aspx. Similar, except user would be required to hold the ALT key (to isolate this behavior and make it on-demand only. The ALT key will work nice together with the Rapid Scrolling). This feature will allow to navigate between charts AND scroll them instantly without a single click. (productivity. Enchancement)
- 10.1 MC_Prog requested a mouse-wheel for time-scale scrolling.
Link: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ouse+wheel
Also here: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ouse+wheel
10.2 MC_Prog mentioned the "Time compression/expansion" using Mouse-wheel.(see links in #10.1)
TrialUser asks to increase/decrease Bar-spacing with mouse wheel. The discussion goes back to 2006: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ouse+wheel
Later discussed: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ouse+wheel
May I suggest Ctrl+Alt+Mouse Wheel for Time Compression/Expansion (Bar Spacing)
10.3 Janus started thread called a Better Scrolling Method. Great method - don't miss please.
10.4 John posted his ideas into thread above (see 10.3) on many aspects of scrolling charts
10.5 Suggested by TJ Chart Scrolling. Link:http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=32315#32315.
Very intuitive method, although it does not incorporate scrolling chart up/down functionality as suggested by Janus method in 10.3
10.6 Chart Scrolling improvement mentioned by ctrlbrk. Item C in this post: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=61
11. New Toolbar: "Sessions" with drop-down list. Can not speak about other people who trade different kinds of instruments, but for Stocks, I would like to have a quick access, and the ability to change sessions from the Toolbar. For example switch between: "24/5", "Extended hours", and "Standard hours" sessions. (Productivity. Enhancement)
12.[modified] Format Scales (Y- and X-) by Double-clicking on them. Everything else(!) on the chart is can be formatted by double-click, but Y- and X- scales behave differently. Please make it consistent (see #12.1)
- 12.1. Consider enhancing the 'Reset Y-Scale' button (on the Control Toolbar) by attaching a drop-down list to it. This is an intuitive place to reset individual data series, please include "reset all" option as well). Once it's done, consider removing the 'Reset' functionality from 'X-' and 'Y-' scales right-click menus. This will make consistent and easier for clients.
12.2. Reitberg's request to reset the scale of a chart using a hotkey.
Link: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=hotkey
13. SP's Scanner suggestion to add a prompt "Format Study" when a study is added into the scanner.
14. Tcat's suggestion to have the space bar as a short cut key to toggle the replay play/pause button. It would be handy. Reposted by bowlesj3: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=7004&start=3
15. Arnie's Scanner suggestion to Copy & Paste several rows in scanner using usual keyboard shortcuts.
May I also suggest the ability to select multiple rows by holding the Shift key with Arrow Up / Arrow Down keys.
16. John's idea to add +1 and -1 buttons and keyboard shortcuts to adjust Playback speed here: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=18
Also here: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=18
May I also suggest Ctrl+Plus sign / Ctrl+Minus sign keyboard shortcuts?
17. Chart zoom. Please consider adding Ctrl+Mouse Wheel to Zoom-in and out. (just like Mozilla Firefox)
18. Arnie's suggestion to interrupt the backfill by pressing ESC button.
Link: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=43
19. John's inquiry about Ctrl+LeftMouseButton SpaceBar+LeftMouseButton
20. AUTO TRADING SHORTCUTS
Brendanh requests to add shortcuts for the Close Position, and Do Not Close Position buttons in the Auto Trading Warning window that is displayed when you disable autotrading while in a position.
Also: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=45
Another brendanh's thread about Automate Order Execution http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6141
Mentioned again in this post: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=43
21. Seldom Seen requests 'Full screen' short key. Nice. http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=3953
22. Add a shortcut key to force the Chart with "Link to All" option enabled to be Re-Linked to whatever window is active at the moment. Currently the chart can be re-linked only when instrument is typed into the command line... My suggestion is to use Ctrl+L
23. When drawing trend lines on the chart please allow to create straight horizontal trend lines by holding the Shift key. The same applies to ellipses and rectangles: holding the Shift key will allow to create symmetrical circles an rectangles.
24. When moving or resizing windows in the workspace please make them sticky to each other and to the boundaries of the parent window while holding the Shift key.
25. Please consider a shortcut keys for "Format Study Templates". Additionally, can you please add another Tab called "Study Templates" in the "Insert Study" dialog box?
26. Use the TAB key to quickly switch between Workspaces. Or, perhaps, make Ctrl+TAB to switch between Workspaces... so the TAB key become available for navigation in some special windows such as Scanner/Order Entry/Position Tracker.
27. Custom Hotkeys for generic tasks by vking. Link: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6887&start=3
28. Please Add "Show Empty Periods" Button onto the "Chart Analysis Toolbar", or "Resolution Toolbar"
29. WINDOW MANAGEMENT
Old forum thread discussing GUI improvements: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... light=snap.
eSignal introduces an improved GUI - a lot of very interesting ideas. Link ScreenCast demonstrating new eSignal GUI: http://www.screencast.com/users/jayfran ... 11+Preview
30. ctrlbrk suggests shortcuts for drawing tools: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=44
MULTICHARTS USERS: Please post your shortcuts & hotkeys, and I will ad them into the list. Who knows, maybe one day it's going to be implemented...
TO TSS DEVELOPERS: Please don't miss the details. They help to shape the whole picture.