MC offline does not seem to hold Yesterday's data

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

MC offline does not seem to hold Yesterday's data

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Jan 2010

Yesterday (2010/Jan/05) at the end of the trading day I shut down MC 6.0 beta2 on the Main machine and backed up the files then copied them to the notebook and brought up MC 6.0 beta 2 on the notebook in offline mode (but running authorized which has nothing to do with this problem actually). So everything was fine in that I got yesterdays data (the 5th) and was able to do replays. I brought MC down and up 2 times that night and I was always able to get the 5th data. However the next morning on the 6th when I brought MC up it showed only the data up to the 4th at the midnight cutoff area it uses. So I decided to go back to my backup and put it in again but I get the same result.

I did another offline test of this problem on the main machine on the 6th and I get the same thing even though on the 5th with the main machine I was able to read the files offline after saving and backing up.

This happened once before on the main machine. I was running MC 6.0 beta1 on the main machine and finished the friday trading day with it closing down MC properly and backing up the data as I always do. Then Saturday I found out that beta2 was available so I installed it but when I brough up MC offline with that workspace and trying to get the friday offline data I could only see the charts up to thursdays midnight area day end. I thought this was a fluck of the upgrade so I brought up TWS and did a backfill to get the Friday data. If I remember correctly I was able view the Friday data all weekend including the next day Sunday. However that makes sense because On Sunday Yesterday is Saturday (at least no one has told me otherwise yet) and MC only dislikes yesterday so Friday data was okay.

So it seems that MC 6.0 does not like yesterday once the midnight hour has come buy. I think there must be a werewolve in this version of MC which comes out at the midnight hour :-) I don't suppose anyone else been bitten by this werewolf and figured out how to get rid of it?

Oh God. Now I have that song "Yesterday" that the Beatles did running through my head :roll:

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 07 Jan 2010

This problem seems pretty consistent (it happended again today exactly the same way I described). MC 2.1.999.999 never did this (except it did it in the IB TWS daily bars only). For now I work around it by copying the files across machines two times a day (after a morning backfill) instead of once so it is not a huge problem. I have minimized the inconvenience by programming my backup database to have a few more button clicks to make the file transfers pretty easy to do. I will probably give a reminder of this problem every few months since I am sure there are more important things to work on.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 Jan 2010

Before I get into this, On the positive side I don't mind the extra work because the replay is very useful and was a nice Christmas present. It is important to keep the big picture and thus not get greedy. TSS does great work.

To get Fridays data for offline offsite review on Friday night takes a standard notebook transfer (5 to 10 minutes). However to get Friday data available for review on Saturday offline takes an extra 20 minutes of work on top of the work that was done on Friday night. This is because on Saturday you have to log into IB on the main machine, bring up MC, backfill Friday, close MC down and IB down, do a backup to a zip file, copy over to the notebook, do a file transfer on the notebook most likely and then bring MC up on the notebook to check to make sure you did it correct. That is an extra 20 minutes even though I have shortcut buttons set up too make the directory copies much easier. MC 2.1.999.999, took zero minutes because it never looses yesterday's data. Here is the math.

20 minutes a week X 52 weeks = 1040 minutes a year = 17 hours a year.

Also there is some extra during the 5 days of the week which probably adds up to about 5 minutes a day or 20 minutes a week so it is actually about 34 hours a year.

Why does it occur is the interesting question?

Again I would rather see the replay speed slider changed to include a few more slightly slower speeds on the slider than see this Yesterday Lost problem fixed but if there is ever time to fix this it would be nice.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 10 Jan 2010

I was correct. Starting MC 6.0 on Sunday retains Friday data because obviously Yesterday is Saturday at that point.

Return to “MultiCharts”