Manual order entry then manage it using strategy, possible?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tradinghumble

Manual order entry then manage it using strategy, possible?

Postby tradinghumble » 19 Jan 2010

I would like to enter an entry order manually and then use a strategy to manage the exit/stop...

Is this possible? Would appreciate some examples.

Thanks !

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 20 Jan 2010

Hi,

I have been using using your idea - enter the market with a manual entry. Then, let an exit strategy to take care the exit using MC.

I have created a code "SignalGenerator" to create an entry signal to be shown in the chart. The code is: -
Input:LongShort(1),TT(0215),DF(1),DT(1100101);

Variables:DFilter(0),DFilt1(0);

DFilt1=Iff(Date>=DT,1,0);
DFilter=Iff(DF=0,1,DFilt1);

If Time=TT And LongShort=1 And DFilter=1 then Buy this bar at close;
If Time=TT and LongShort<>1 And DFilter=1 then Sell Short this bar at close;
Say if you are trading 5-min chart on 20 Jan 2010, open a 5-min chart with your exit strategy and the above SignalGenerator applied.

Let say if you have manually enter the market with a short order at the time at 150130. Then amend the input of the following:

LongShort = -1
TT = 1500 (at a time before the current bar 1505)
DF=1 (DF=1 to show cleaner chart with signal today if you just want to show the signal today)
DT=1100120 (just let the strategy to show signal on 20 Jan 2010 onwards)

The chart should use "Async Mode" of Auto Trading, with the following checked:

"Show the Assign the Initial Market Position at the Broker dialogue"

Press the "AA" botton on left top conrnor of chart to activate the strategy and assign the position to short XX contracts as your position. Then the exit strategy will take care the exit.

Hope this help!

Sa

tradinghumble

Postby tradinghumble » 20 Jan 2010

Space -- exactly what I was looking for -- Thank you!
Hi,

I have been using using your idea - enter the market with a manual entry. Then, let an exit strategy to take care the exit using MC.

I have created a code "SignalGenerator" to create an entry signal to be shown in the chart. The code is: -
Input:LongShort(1),TT(0215),DF(1),DT(1100101);

Variables:DFilter(0),DFilt1(0);

DFilt1=Iff(Date>=DT,1,0);
DFilter=Iff(DF=0,1,DFilt1);

If Time=TT And LongShort=1 And DFilter=1 then Buy this bar at close;
If Time=TT and LongShort<>1 And DFilter=1 then Sell Short this bar at close;
Say if you are trading 5-min chart on 20 Jan 2010, open a 5-min chart with your exit strategy and the above SignalGenerator applied.

Let say if you have manually enter the market with a short order at the time at 150130. Then amend the input of the following:

LongShort = -1
TT = 1500 (at a time before the current bar 1505)
DF=1 (DF=1 to show cleaner chart with signal today if you just want to show the signal today)
DT=1100120 (just let the strategy to show signal on 20 Jan 2010 onwards)

The chart should use "Async Mode" of Auto Trading, with the following checked:

"Show the Assign the Initial Market Position at the Broker dialogue"

Press the "AA" botton on left top conrnor of chart to activate the strategy and assign the position to short XX contracts as your position. Then the exit strategy will take care the exit.

Hope this help!

Sa

tradinghumble

Postby tradinghumble » 20 Jan 2010

Hopefully we will have the ability to add buttons to MC in the futures... just like eSignal for example... here's my own ATM in eSignal which I use to trade... idea is basically to manage the trade from the chart...
Attachments
ATM Step 1.png
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
My ATM.png
(59.4 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
My ATM.png
(59.4 KiB) Downloaded 578 times

glen demarco

Postby glen demarco » 20 Jan 2010

yes it is possible once you have a position extablished you could load the strategy into the chart. Multicharts may not know the position is open but you still may be able to close the position, although it may depend on the broker.

TraderGuy

Postby TraderGuy » 20 Jan 2010

We have built something similar for another platform.

Create an external form to communicate with the strategy running on the chart. The form can have simple entry buttons for manual usage; they will fire the entry long or short and perhaps have a close button as well. Once in the position the strategy running on the chart will handle the exits.

You can build the form with Visual Studio or something similar and use the communication method of your choice.

Regards,
Guy

Return to “MultiCharts”