Import/export last modified sort order.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Import/export last modified sort order.

Postby bowlesj3 » 14 Feb 2010

It would be handy if the last modified date/time was put on the export file so the import could have this date/time sort as well.

I often change a set of studies and always export the hole mass of studies so I do not miss one if there is a delay before I do the export (which there often is). It also provides an extra set of backups of all studies. I export constantly because I always take my notebook offsite and want the studies always there. On import we could just list them by last modified and check the last few we changed for import and recompile. It would also serve as a rough revision system if one creates their export files with a date time stamp name as I do. I usually have at least 100 of these full exports kicking around. If this sort was available it would be easier to find old code if needed. It gets worse when I do not get a chance to do the compile on the other machine for a few days. Then I am totally lost as to being sure what I need to bring in so I just import and complile all 600+ studies just incase. If this sort was there I would never have to do that.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 14 Feb 2010

I just pulled up the import list. Why would I ever need the "archive file" in that list when I just opened the archive from that very path and file (roughly 1 second before that). LOL. My memory may be bad but it is not that bad! Maybe I am missing something here. I think the last modified sort order would be much more useful.

I did a test. It still holds true. I just tried moving that export file to "My documents" then opening it and that "archive file" fields tells me I just imported from the "My Documents" directory.

I think my suggestion would be a good replacement for the "archive file" list. You can go back to any full export of all your studies (my export file names all contain ExportDate, ExportTime, MachineCode NB/DT then a comment) and when it is opened ready to load you see all the EL code sorted on last modified and see the EL code items that you last changed at the top and when they were changed. Much more useful.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 15 Feb 2010, edited 1 time in total.

MC_Prog

Re: Import/export last modified sort order.

Postby MC_Prog » 15 Feb 2010

It would be handy if the last modified date/time was put on the export file so the import could have this date/time sort as well.
I agree.

Being able to sort and select by last modified date/time when importing is a big help to the user's library maintenance efforts.

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 16 Feb 2010

Makes sense to me.

Return to “MultiCharts”