Suggestion: setting for indicators to always recalculate

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Bruce DeVault

Suggestion: setting for indicators to always recalculate

Postby Bruce DeVault » 28 Feb 2010

In some cases, indicators receive information from global variables, ADE, ELC, text files, etc. and need to be status cycled when conditions change on a strategy/signal.

It would be helpful to have a setting such that if a strategy is reapplied to the chart, the indicators all are recalculated as well. This setting could be on the indicator e.g. "recalculate when any applied signal recalculates" or on the signal e.g. "recalculate all indicators when this signal recalculates" - either way would be a huge improvement in usability for this type of approach.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 01 Mar 2010

They have a recalculate command shown in the list of unsupported and new reserve words in the link below.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ed+reserve

However it only executes if a tick comes through. There are two posts kicking around that I know of where users have requested that studies have more options for execution than just "execute on every tick". As an example every 1 second or every tick and the ability for the code to know which of the two has occured or if both have occured. That would solve a lot of problems including fixing the inabiity to recalculate until a tick comes through. Slow markets symbol trading would benefit greatly.

Interesting this should come up. I just realized that I have to move my test for the last few seconds of the 10 second bar chart back over to my database program where I originally had it so I get proper triggering. MC alone just does not cut it. I got it in my head to use this command in MC. It is okay for mid day trading but not early morning trading when at times there are big gaps in time between ticks.

MidBarStall = 8; {from a GV}

if Mod(SecondsfromDateTime(ComputerDateTime),10) >= MidBarStall) then
begin
value1 = GV_SetNamedString( "Trg-" + MySym + "-S-S" , "Y" );
end;

I did it because of concerns about GV transfer speed. However I now know GV transfer speed is very fast (not an issue) and gaps in ticks or slowness to get a study to execute after a tick comes in are much bigger problems.

swisstrader

Re: Suggestion: setting for indicators to always recalculate

Postby swisstrader » 14 Jun 2010

In some cases, indicators receive information from global variables, ADE, ELC, text files, etc. and need to be status cycled when conditions change on a strategy/signal.

It would be helpful to have a setting such that if a strategy is reapplied to the chart, the indicators all are recalculated as well. This setting could be on the indicator e.g. "recalculate when any applied signal recalculates" or on the signal e.g. "recalculate all indicators when this signal recalculates" - either way would be a huge improvement in usability for this type of approach.
Hi Bruce,
thank you for your question. I have the same problem to recalculate a second indicator what receives via ELC new input values from an other indicator in the same chart window.
In Tradestaion I added this line:

{TRICKY TRIGGER to hand-over automatically most recent input values from master-indicator '$TT MasterX' via ELC MapSN}
if CurrentBar > 1 then
I_CE = I_ClosedEquity;

This works perfectly in TS, but not in MC.

Any solutions from TS Support?

Regards,
swisstrader

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 30 Jun 2010

Dear swisstrader,

Could you please explain the problem in details as well as send us the master-indicator?

Return to “MultiCharts”