Bar Magnifier does not work

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TraderJ

Bar Magnifier does not work

Postby TraderJ » 03 Mar 2010

I have a chart of EUR/USD 5-min ASK and BID for "Extended Backtesting", 120 days back. Data source is Interactive Brokers (IDEALPRO). With these settings, my strategy generates dozens of trades. It is a strategy which enters the market with a BUY NEXT BAR AT [price] STOP logic. The price level is defined by a moving average. When I switch on Bar Magnifier with the default option "Skip ticks with identical prices", then all trades disappear, i.e. MultiCharts claims that the strategy would not generate any trades. This is obviously not true because the entry price level is reached lots of times.

When I turn off "Skip ticks with identical prices" then MC shows an error message saying that it could not obtain the necessary data. This must be a bug because IB delivers tick data up to 1 year back. In addition, I already have downloaded tick data for EUR/USD BID and ASK for 1 year back using another workspace. So the data is definitely there, why does MC say the opposite?

Can you confirm this as a bug?

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Mar 2010

1. check to see if you have tick data:

go to your QuoteManager,
right click on the symbol
select Edit Data...

if you can load tick data into the window, then your data is ok.

p.s. check the date range of tick data you have. You can only backtest with what you have.

TraderJ

Data is Ok

Postby TraderJ » 03 Mar 2010

I can load the data as you described, so my data is ok.

I guess I have found the source of my problems. It seems that I must refer to all indicators and prices one bar back, e.g. by using "High[1]" instead of "High" in order to place a STOP BUY order for the current bar. The long version:

BUY NEXT BAR AT High[1] STOP

I find this misleading because the term "NEXT BAR" does not refer to the next bar, but the current bar (to which "High" would also refer). Therefore I have to go one bar back by using "High[1]".

Anyway, Bar Magnifier seems to work now.

Return to “MultiCharts”