Trend lines drawn without notice

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
janus

Trend lines drawn without notice

Postby janus » 18 Apr 2010

Has anyone noticed this bug? I have a study that draws trend lines. When I move my cursor to certain points on the background, the mouse pointer changes from a arrow to a hand indicating there's an object there. However, there's nothing visible there. When I right click it tells me there's a trend line. It's properties show it starts and ends on the same bar but at different levels indicating it's a vertical line. Sometimes it is back in time, others forward. My study does draw vertical lines at places but not where MC thinks they are located. This explains why I sometimes see a trend line drawn out of nowhere when I left click on the background even though I haven't selected the trend line drawing tool. This has to be a bug. It's annoying me a lot. Has this been fixed in 6.0?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Apr 2010

Hi Janus,

I am not sure of your problem but one certainly has to be fully aware of this stuff when using trend lines.

In this thread at the last post
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6871
it explains things I have noticed about trend lines (and text and arrows). The basic idea is MC gets confused with the ID number if you are creating the line before barstatus=2. You can not store the ID number and be sure it will be the correct one for later tick reference until barstatus = 2 (especially if other studies are also creating trend lines on the same chart).

Lately if I am reusing trend lines (or text or arrows) I create them on bar #1 and hide them until I need them and use only move commands to place them in site or out of site. To hide them I normally just use price zero and the current date and time. This saves me so much hassle in avoiding the wait until they are locked at barstatus = 2.

I have found that it is not good to use intrabarpersist on the tend line ID number if you are creating them before barstatus = 2. This is because the ID is being retrained for the next tick but the line is being deleted and recreated possibly with a different ID number.

After I learned the ins and outs of all this I went through all my code to ensure trend lines were in syc with each other and other code was not deleting them or moving them with incorrect ID numbers. Now I have no problems ever.

What you are describing sounds like it may be different however.

Other other thing that is strange about trend lines is the moving of them. The help explains it a bit. If you execute the setbegin and setend in the wrong order it can give strange results. I was going to do some tests as mentioned in the thread below but I have not gotten around to it yet.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=tlsetend

Here is that help comment for setend/setbegin.
Of the two end points of a trendline, the point with the later date and time is always considered to be the ending point; if the trendline is vertical, the point with the higher price value is considered to be the ending point.

TJ

Re: Trend lines drawn without notice

Postby TJ » 18 Apr 2010

Has anyone noticed this bug? I have a study that draws trend lines. When I move my cursor to certain points on the background, the mouse pointer changes from a arrow to a hand indicating there's an object there. However, there's nothing visible there. When I right click it tells me there's a trend line. It's properties show it starts and ends on the same bar but at different levels indicating it's a vertical line. Sometimes it is back in time, others forward. My study does draw vertical lines at places but not where MC thinks they are located. This explains why I sometimes see a trend line drawn out of nowhere when I left click on the background even though I haven't selected the trend line drawing tool. This has to be a bug. It's annoying me a lot. Has this been fixed in 6.0?
I have experienced this "phenomenon".

The trendline is not a "new" trendline,
(ie not a trendline with a new ID)
but an old trendline with a new end point.

There must is a twilight zone in MC...
if you happened to click on the chart during this "TL" zone,
it will move the end point of a trendline to the new position.

:-(

janus

Re: Trend lines drawn without notice

Postby janus » 18 Apr 2010

I have experienced this "phenomenon".

The trendline is not a "new" trendline,
(ie not a trendline with a new ID)
but an old trendline with a new end point.

There must is a twilight zone in MC...
if you happened to click on the chart during this "TL" zone,
it will move the end point of a trendline to the new position.
:-(
Yes, that's right. I checked by paging back while I have my left mouse button down. I've managed to find where the line is - several screens back. As you say it ends up moving one of the end points to where I clicked on the background. This is ridiculous. As I said, TSS has to focus on fixing these bugs as soon as they have finished with 6.0. No more new features until they have ironed out at least the majority of the bugs we all have encountered. :x

Return to “MultiCharts”