SSD & Optimisation Speed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
duration

SSD & Optimisation Speed

Postby duration » 10 May 2010

Hello,

Do you believe that the use of SSDs could increase the optimisation speed of Multicharts?

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 10 May 2010

The increase in speed would be minor in general because the optimization process is not IO bound. In other words, if you run a big optimization and watch your hard disk light(s) you should see them rarely on at all, so the computer is not waiting much on the hard disk, therefore, speeding up the hard disk should not be a big factor in optimization speeds.

There is an exception, which is if the optimization is writing out a lot of detail - was would be the case with the GWFO add-on product which saves every trade taken during every optimization run - in this case, the speed increase could be more, but bear in mind SSDs aren't as fast for writing as they are for reading, so here again, it's not going to be as much as you might think.

Where SSDs really shine is in improving battery life on notebooks, in improving boot-up times, and in speeding up repetitive, read-intensive operations.

duration

Postby duration » 10 May 2010

Dear Bruce,

I understand, thanks a lot for your reply!

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 10 May 2010

For increase the optimizion speed with MC you need "only" a faster processor.
For very very very big optimizion you can rent amazon CPU-servers for ca 1 per hour
http://aws.amazon.com/de/ec2/instance-types/

High-CPU Extra Large (XL) Instance: ca. 20 GHz

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 10 May 2010

That same website is available in English at: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/.
Essentially, the high CPU instances are equivalent to a virtualized I7. I7s are affordable now for purchase, so you may want to consider simply getting one so that way you have access to it all of the time (we have one here for testing, with another on order, and many clients use I7s daily).

Amazon's rental pricing, at $1 an hour give or take, is quite affordable though, so it's a reasonable thing to consider.

duration

Postby duration » 11 May 2010

Have you ever rented an amazon server?

Would they need to install Multicharts? How would they know how to use it?

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 11 May 2010

No, not yet.
Yes you have to need install MC and copy you own database to the server.
But I think you can save this on amazon for later operations.
However - its only a suggestroin from me for veray big optimizions (longer than 1-2 days f.e.)

Return to “MultiCharts”