Anyone use Atomic Clock Sychronization?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Spaceant

Anyone use Atomic Clock Sychronization?

Postby Spaceant » 25 May 2010

I use IB as my data feed.

My notebook uses a software called Attache Clock to synchronize the time with leading atomic clock servers. I need it as my notebook's clock would run slower and slower as time goes by - that may run more than 10 seconds slower when market is closing. Also, from what I have been using this Attache Clock, this is not 100 % correct. The synchronized time is always been with a delay by 1 second or 2 vesus the time in this website (and HK exchange), http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock
So, I normally calibrate the clock manually when I start the computer everyday (adjust the time two mins delay and use the software to synchronize again). This process may cause an unusual error that change the date, say from currnt date to yesterday / tomorrow, then back to today. I can't explain hy, that was I experienced at least twice. This error cause data updating even themarket starts.

The described error, but the occurance is rare. Somehow, the software ony synchronizes the time but not the date!! Having said that, I still use it as I have no alternatives that are better.

Are you guys using any Atomic synchronizer that is accurate and reliable?

gregorio123456

Re: Anyone use Atomic Clock Sychronization?

Postby gregorio123456 » 25 May 2010

I use IB as my data feed.

My notebook uses a software called Attache Clock to synchronize the time with leading atomic clock servers. I need it as my notebook's clock would run slower and slower as time goes by - that may run more than 10 seconds slower when market is closing. Also, from what I have been using this Attache Clock, this is not 100 % correct. The synchronized time is always been with a delay by 1 second or 2 vesus the time in this website (and HK exchange), http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock
So, I normally calibrate the clock manually when I start the computer everyday (adjust the time two mins delay and use the software to synchronize again). This process may cause an unusual error that change the date, say from currnt date to yesterday / tomorrow, then back to today. I can't explain hy, that was I experienced at least twice. This error cause data updating even themarket starts.

The described error, but the occurance is rare. Somehow, the software ony synchronizes the time but not the date!! Having said that, I still use it as I have no alternatives that are better.

Are you guys using any Atomic synchronizer that is accurate and reliable?
try this

http://www.nist.gov/physlab/div847/grp40/its.cfm

jo

Spaceant

jo,

Have you tried that? Is it automatic?

Sa

geizer

Postby geizer » 25 May 2010

There is also a global pool of time servers: http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/@
Last edited by geizer on 25 May 2010, edited 2 times in total.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 May 2010

I use dimension4

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/help/

It has a lot of atomic clock websites and lots of features.

I find that recently during the bi yearly time shifts I have to change my computer time zone because our area is different now. It use to work great but our local government changed that. The program itself works well.

geizer

Postby geizer » 25 May 2010

I use dimension4
John,
thanks for sharing the link. Great tool, will give it a try.
--

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 May 2010

Your welcome. A former brokerage firm I had from new york insisted I use it so the time stamps would be correct.

janus

Re: Anyone use Atomic Clock Sychronization?

Postby janus » 25 May 2010

I have found this: http://www.symmetricom.com/resources/do ... /symmtime/

accurate and reliable. It also has a nice and useful display of clocks for different time zones - essential for those who trade on different exchanges around the world.

gregorio123456

Postby gregorio123456 » 25 May 2010

jo,

Have you tried that? Is it automatic?

Sa
yes.....
you setting for each hours

and clean of spy because is from

The Physics Laboratory is one of the major operating units of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Its mission is to support United States industry by providing measurement services and research for electronic, optical, and radiation technologies

jo

Spaceant

Thanks for you guys, I am not alone in the planet!

John, your software works great, with synchronization rate adjustment to upto seconds. I now set it to synochronize for every min. Thanks for your sharing.

BTY, did you experience anything strange / bad when using it?

duration

Postby duration » 26 May 2010

Hello,

What are the benefit of using an atomic clock?

Many thanks,

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 May 2010

I never have problems with the D4 program. However as I said my daylight savings time shift occurs at a strange time in my area (never use to) and that screws me up for a few weeks every spring and fall. To solve this I change my computer to the central time zone rather than the eastern time zone. The only problem is my calendar popups are wrong (not a great solution but fast and easy). So this program goes out to the atomic clock of your choosing. My guess is it has all of the ones that exist in the world. It is what it is. How can it be wrong?

Regarding why to use the atomic clock. Simple. So your computer time is 100% accurate all the time (down to .0000???001 of a second) and with D4 you can have it updated ever minute if you want. I run it to update every 15 minutes I think (I have to check). You can run it at startup such that it does an update and shuts itself down.

regarding the daylight savings time problem I am going to write them to ask they put in an offset feature. Maybe they could put in a table of date/time ranges for that offset as well. That is the only way to properly solve that problem.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 26 May 2010, edited 3 times in total.

gregorio123456

Postby gregorio123456 » 26 May 2010

Hello,

What are the benefit of using an atomic clock?

Many thanks,
because atomic clock is official time in world and clock of your computer is synchronize w exchange time

jo

kiasom

Postby kiasom » 04 Jul 2010

I was using D4 on XP and it worked like a charm, but have upgraded to Windows7, which is not supported. Anyone knows how to tweak it to work in W7 ?
Btw, none of the programs mentioned seem yet to be supported in W7.

janus

Postby janus » 05 Jul 2010

I haven't got W7 yet. Doesn't it have a decent built-in time synchronizer?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 05 Jul 2010

I doubt windows will ever match D4's features. I wrote to them asking for an offset too (for when Govs change the local time zone and mess it up during part of the year as in my situation). I have not heard back.

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 05 Jul 2010

I doubt windows will ever match D4's features. I wrote to them asking for an offset too (for when Govs change the local time zone and mess it up during part of the year as in my situation). I have not heard back.
John,

Do you mean Microsoft?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Jul 2010

Hi Spaceant,

No, I sent a request to the D4 people. I offered to live test for them. Maybe they will just put the offset feature in eventually. Right now if one needs this offset, the only way to keep using D4 during this time is to change the time zone on the computer. However that can create problems in other programs. For most D4 is probably okay.

John.

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 06 Jul 2010

Hi Spaceant,

No, I sent a request to the D4 people. I offered to live test for them. Maybe they will just put the offset feature in eventually. Right now if one needs this offset, the only way to keep using D4 during this time is to change the time zone on the computer. However that can create problems in other programs. For most D4 is probably okay.

John.
Do you mean that D4 will never really "synchronize" the time to one of the leading atomic timer? What I experieced is that my computer is always running a very little bit slower than the atomic server despite the fact that I checked with D4 to update every minute (I conclude that, but I can't prove it as I compare my computer time to another world clock website). Having said that I still think it runs smartly and is much better the software that I used before!!

Sa

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Jul 2010

No, what I mean is the local government can if they wish (change to daylight savings time and go back to normal time) at a different date than the normal date at which the D4 program picks up this change. There is no law that they have to conform to the normal date for shifting to daylight savings time (adn back again). Because my local Government has decided to go against the normal date it means that D4 keeps screwing up my clock time (by 1 hour) for a few weeks in the fall and again in the spring. If D4 had an offset feature I could correct this problem using an offset setting based upon my local governments decision. Other than this problem D4 is a great program and it really is not the D4 programs fault.

Return to “MultiCharts”