Manual orders in MC - first impressions

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Tresor

Manual orders in MC - first impressions

Postby Tresor » 17 Jun 2010

First of all I would like to thank TSS for bringing this great and expected feature.

And I would like to thank Phil for finding this new revelation.

I like the concept of new MC very much. I will elaborate more on Sunday / Monday when I will be able to make first demo trades via manual order module in MC.

First impression is great. What I would suggest is to make manual trading window dockable and its width resisable (just like data window) - but the second impression I will have next week may be different - I do not yet know which option I would like best.

TSS, GREAT JOB :D I can finally trash MT4 with joy.

Demo is downloadable from: http://www.fxcm.com/lp-strategy-trader-beta.html

In the meantime, enjoy a screenshot.
Attachments
manual orders in MC beta.png
(38.55 KiB) Downloaded 1202 times

Tresor

Phil, what are your impressions?

TJ

Postby TJ » 17 Jun 2010

I don't see what is the big deal.

With Interactive Brokers' BookTrader,
I can fit the DOM, entry buttons, quotes, logs, P/L and Portfolio all in the same real estate !
There is even an option for volume@price histogram on the ladder.

I can enter/exit orders with the buttons,
or simply click on the price ladder...
Attachments
BookTrader.gif
(30.56 KiB) Downloaded 1184 times
Last edited by TJ on 17 Jun 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Tresor

First suggestion in the picture.
Attachments
manual symbol.png
(44.56 KiB) Downloaded 1175 times

janus

Postby janus » 18 Jun 2010

I don't see what is the big deal.

With Interactive Brokers' BookTrader,
I can fit the DOM, entry buttons, quotes, logs, P/L and Portfolio all in the same real estate !
There is even an option for volume@price histogram on the ladder.

I can enter/exit orders with the buttons,
or simply click on the price ladder...
Yes, IB's BookTrader is really good. Certainly very useful for advanced real-time traders. I now use two screens (more to come) so I can quickly add/reverse/cover my trades using IB or my DLL addon to MC. I'm actually using MC less and less for trading purposes but I still will have a need for it for back-testing ideas. ScaleTrader and ChartTrader also look cool but haven't explored them much yet.

phil

Postby phil » 18 Jun 2010

@ Phil, what are your impressions?

Well, I think they are doing pretty good for the time and ressource that they have. For the dom. Itsn't a dom for what I use to but the new language programmation I think itsn't a bad idea. maybe it will open new way to how to do think that was more hard to do with easylanguage.

We will see in the future.

:)

janus

Re: Manual orders in MC - first impressions

What gives here? Is there now another company about to offer these new features with MC but TSS is not including these features with MC 6.0? Confused. Let me guess. Because Forex trading is heavily reliant on real-time manual trading with snapshot decisions, the need for manual ordering was a high priority. However, just about every other trading package on the market offers manual ordering now. Not very nice. So, if not in 6.0 will it be in 7.0?

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Jun 2010

the program you are looking at is MCFX by TSSupport.
The program is specifically designed for forex.
It has been around longer than MultiCharts.
A free demo is available.

http://www.tssupport.com/mcfx/
MCFX Demo
MCFX demo is free and will work on your computer for as long as you wish. It supports the fully functional PowerLanguage identical to that provided in MCFX Pro. You will not have to pay to gain access. To receive a demo version, fill out a form and you will receive an e-mail with the instructions on how to download the program.

MCFX Corporate
MCFX Corporate is an all-around private label solution that includes the MCFX platform, data feed, online credit card billing, and user accounts management. Furthermore, our staff is ready to customize the product and add any new features to meet your requirements. In the corporate solution, every instance of MCFX label can be replaced by the name of your choice, allowing you to market the product as your own. Can this really be so fast and simple? Absolutely! Find out for yourself: read more about our business solutions and contact us right now to make the best in industry work for you.

janus

Yes, I already knew all that. I saw the FXCM logo on the MCFX section of MC's website. Doesn't answer my questions though. Is the FXCM website associated with another company? Or is MCFX and FXCM one and the same solutions?

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 18 Jun 2010

Impression #2 + a suggestion: aphabetical sorting of symbols.
Attachments
impression2.png
(43.48 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times

Tresor

Impression #3 + a suggestion: a better ''tabs'' availability.
Attachments
impression3.png
(42.45 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times

Tresor

Impression #4 + a suggestion: option for turning off order confirmation.
Attachments
impression4.png
(45.9 KiB) Downloaded 1143 times

Tresor

Impression #5: lots of unused space: some hints in this thread: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6560
Attachments
impression5.png
(44.98 KiB) Downloaded 1138 times

Tresor

impression #6 + a suggestion: ask line
Attachments
impression6.png
(47.57 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
ask line in mt4.png
(20.15 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times

Tresor

Impression #7: show entry and working orders on chart. No more impressions for today :D
Attachments
impression7.png
(47.8 KiB) Downloaded 1154 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Jun 2010

Hi Guys,
Strategy Trader and MultiCharts are different products and will have different manual order capabilities. So please don’t send ST comments to us. It is better to send them to FXCM.
We are completing MC 6 and anticipating manual trading features this September-October.

Tresor

Hahaha, okay, then me and Phil got excited prematurely. And the congrats were also premature :D

I will send the screenshots to FXCM as a beta tester's feedback.

If TSS thinks however that some of the impressions might be used to design manual trading in MC, then my work might not be wasted completely.

I would especially be grateful if the philosophy of a manual trading window in MC was different than the one in Strategy Trader in the sense that the manual trading in MC should be designed as an extension (part) of a chart.

If this is done then logically:

- the manual trader would always display the symbol of the chart (no need to scroll the list of symbols up and down to find the one that I want to trade, thus saving time) http://forum.tssupport.com/download.php?id=2838

- there would be space to strech the tabs horizontally accross the whole monitor http://forum.tssupport.com/download.php?id=2840

Anyway it was fun to see manual trading in an MC-like platform. I think FXCM customers will like the product.

janus

Hi Guys,
Strategy Trader and MultiCharts are different products and will have different manual order capabilities. So please don’t send ST comments to us. It is better to send them to FXCM.
We are completing MC 6 and anticipating manual trading features this September-October.
Thanks Andrew for clearing things up. I got really confused for a while. I knew something was wrong. Anyway, I and I'm sure many others are looking forward to the manual order features. Apart from the usual buttons that other competing platforms provide, I like to see a button to cover all open orders, and another button to block any new orders that a study may generate. Also, it would be very nice if you made provision for custom buttons, even if the number is fixed to say 3 buttons. They would be very useful for advanced users. The study can then pick up the status of the last action performed at a particular button via some new variable.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 Jun 2010

Apart from the usual buttons that other competing platforms provide, I like to see a button to cover all open orders, and another button to block any new orders that a study may generate. Also, it would be very nice if you made provision for custom buttons, even if the number is fixed to say 3 buttons. They would be very useful for advanced users. The study can then pick up the status of the last action performed at a particular button via some new variable.
Dear janus,

I have forwarded your suggestions to the developers. Could you please give us an example of such custom buttons?

janus

Postby janus » 25 Jun 2010

I have forwarded your suggestions to the developers. Could you please give us an example of such custom buttons?
My pleasure. What I mean by custom buttons is to allow a programmer to act upon the status of the button to perform something in the study. This frees up the programmer to add other functions to the "control panel" containing the other buttons. For example, I might like to have a button to tell the study to double the number of contracts on the next new buy or sell signal. Another example might be to tell the study that I want to print some debug statements. I could think of a few more example but I think you get the idea. I'm sure others can think up some of their own.

The buttons will need to send a signal to the study somehow. The buttons would behave like the CapsLock key on the keyboard. The first time the button is clicked it will look like it's depressed down. The next time it will be released. Alternatively, the two states can be shown as two different colors.

The GetAppInfo function may be the best way to retrieve the status of a button. When a user clicks on say custom button 1 for the first time to depress it, GetAppInfo(Button1Value) would return a value of 1. The next time the user clicks on the button to release it, the same function will return a value of 0. It's up to the programmer to act on these status values in the appropriate manner.

If possible, it would be nice for the user to label the buttons as well. This could be done via some configuration tool or menu in the MC window. It would be even better if they could be labelled by the study so they can be changed dynamically. It's not absolutely essential - they can be permanently labelled as Button 1, Button 2, Button 3.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 28 Jun 2010

Dear janus,

I have forwarded your suggestions to the developers. It is a good idea indeed. However it seems to be a feature for advanced users. Firstly, we plan to implement standard manual trading, and then add new elements in the future.

Return to “MultiCharts”