strange line bug.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

strange line bug.

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Nov 2010

I have noticed over a number of MC releases that (maybe once ever few days) (if I click an arrow or text or line on a chart with intent on moving it) one of my lines also on the same chart that is created by one of my studies will become the object of my chart click. In other words the left click of my mouse pointer on the chart will cause the end point of this other totally unrelated line to instantly jump to where I clicked. It is totally random and probably very hard to recreate on the TSS end but I thought I would mention it just incase a quick scan of code might find it.

TJ

Re: strange line bug.

Postby TJ » 18 Nov 2010

I have noticed over a number of MC releases that (maybe once ever few days) (if I click an arrow or text or line on a chart with intent on moving it) one of my lines also on the same chart that is created by one of my studies will become the object of my chart click. In other words the left click of my mouse pointer on the chart will cause the end point of this other totally unrelated line to instantly jump to where I clicked. It is totally random and probably very hard to recreate on the TSS end but I thought I would mention it just incase a quick scan of code might find it.
I have noticed the same "phenomenon".

There seems to be a twilight zone...
a moment between MC redraw of an existing trendline,
and somehow MC would pick up your click instead of the 2nd coordinate of a redraw object.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 23 Nov 2010

Dear bowlesj3,

Indeed, it will be very hard to reproduce on our end. Could you please post the code of the indicator drawing this line, your workspace and video showing the issue? Or send them to dmasalov@multicharts.com

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Nov 2010

Hi Dave,

Okay, next time it happens I will do so.

Thanks,
John.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 12 Jan 2011

I had this happen today with a completely different study so I do not think it is tied in with the user studies in any way. It is a pure MC bug as far as I can see. In this case it did it twice in a row as well which I have never seen before. What I mean is I had the chart zoomed way out from where these lines were residing on the chart already and clicked the chart twice in this new zoom view and it grabbed the tip of these two lines each time and pulled them into that view. It just so happened that both of these lines were from the same study. These lines by the way would not be moved by the study at the time that this happened. Come to think of it, I think that the other times that this occurred the lines that MC grabbed during the mouse click were all lines that were not in the chart view at the moment. Also MC does not put them back. They stay there until I or the study does something to put them back. I also do not think that the lines have to be created by a study. I think that the only reason MC is moving a line created by a study is because I rarely created a brand new line manually and if I do I take it off the chart fairly quickly.

So we have a bit more info on a bug that happens so rarely it may never be fixed. Maybe TSS can invent a trap for it somehow if more people notice it and notice a pattern in when it happens as I am starting to notice (after at least 1.5 years of seeing it).

Since I first reported this I think I have seen it a total of maybe 5 or 6 times including the two today.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 12 Jan 2011

Blowlesj3,

I attached a chart, because may I have/had the same issue right now. Can imagine this is your problem. I'm using TL's as a Stop-"plot" and sometimes if I want to change something in the properties of the study and I make a double-klick then I get these pseudo trendlines.

Is this the issue >

Regards.

Mike
Attachments
tl_bug.png
(56.07 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 12 Jan 2011

Hi Mike,

Probably. In my case it is a single click of the mouse pointer on the background of the screen that triggers it. The trendline already exists and it just grabs one end point and places it where the mouse click occured. From this I can figure out what trend line it was and put the end point back where it belongs. Again most of my trend lines are created by EL code. However I suspect it can do it with manual trend lines as well because one of my studies creates trend lines that I regularly copy (clone) and place them in the chart. These at times get moved by this strange bug as well.

John.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 13 Jan 2011

I had it happen a 3rd time yesterday (a new record). This time it was the other study that it normally picks on and again it grabbed one of the anchors of a line that is outside the current chart viewing area. So now that I think of it I would say that every single time that I have seen this it is grabbing an anchor of a line outside the current viewing area.

Return to “MultiCharts”