Combining two data sources on same chart?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
User avatar
furytrader
Posts: 353
Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 215 times

Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby furytrader » 15 Dec 2010

I have some 1 minute bar data for a commodity that goes back several years. The data is so large, in fact, that it had to be broken up into 2 data files to send it via email. Is there an easy way in MultiCharts to "paste" those two files together so that they are 1 continuous chart on the screen?

User avatar
TJ
Posts: 6523
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Global Citizen
Has thanked: 957 times
Been thanked: 1883 times

Re: Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby TJ » 15 Dec 2010

furytrader wrote:I have some 1 minute bar data for a commodity that goes back several years. The data is so large, in fact, that it had to be broken up into 2 data files to send it via email. Is there an easy way in MultiCharts to "paste" those two files together so that they are 1 continuous chart on the screen?


are they ascii files?

if you import them through QM, they are automatically appended in the database.

User avatar
furytrader
Posts: 353
Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 215 times

Re: Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby furytrader » 15 Dec 2010

Yes, they are ASCII files. How will the QM "know" that they should be appended? Do I have to designate something when I "map to ascii" or do I do an "import" instead?
As you can tell, I am new to this.
thanks!

User avatar
TJ
Posts: 6523
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Global Citizen
Has thanked: 957 times
Been thanked: 1883 times

Re: Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby TJ » 15 Dec 2010

furytrader wrote:Yes, they are ASCII files. How will the QM "know" that they should be appended? Do I have to designate something when I "map to ascii" or do I do an "import" instead?
As you can tell, I am new to this.
thanks!


QM arranges the data by time stamp.

or,
you can merge the files before import.

User avatar
furytrader
Posts: 353
Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 215 times

Re: Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby furytrader » 15 Dec 2010

I guess my question is how does QM know that the two files are related?

thanks for your help.

User avatar
TJ
Posts: 6523
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Global Citizen
Has thanked: 957 times
Been thanked: 1883 times

Re: Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby TJ » 15 Dec 2010

furytrader wrote:I guess my question is how does QM know that the two files are related?

thanks for your help.


If you are importing the data into the same symbol, all the data will be associated with that symbol, and all the data will be arranged by the time stamp.

any duplicate time stamps will be overwritten by the latest import.


ps.
if you are concerned with data contamination,
you can set up a dummy symbol and test out the import process with that symbol first.

User avatar
furytrader
Posts: 353
Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 215 times

Re: Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby furytrader » 16 Dec 2010

Thanks for your help - I ended up creating a unique symbol just for this ASCII data and it looks like the Quote Manager assembled everything cleanly as you described.

One more reason why MultiCharts is very cool - thanks!

User avatar
TJ
Posts: 6523
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Global Citizen
Has thanked: 957 times
Been thanked: 1883 times

Re: Combining two data sources on same chart?

Postby TJ » 16 Dec 2010

furytrader wrote:Thanks for your help - I ended up creating a unique symbol just for this ASCII data and it looks like the Quote Manager assembled everything cleanly as you described.

One more reason why MultiCharts is very cool - thanks!


you are welcome


Return to “MultiCharts”