Export of all studies, signals and functions as plain files

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TraderJ

Export of all studies, signals and functions as plain files

Postby TraderJ » 05 Jan 2011

Hello everybody,

I would like to export all studies, signals and functions as separate files.
By doing this, I could search all files at once (grep) and edit them in my favorite editor.
The current functionality only exports studies, signals and functions as an xml file.
Additionally, that file is not accessible from any third party tool because its contents are encrypted.

I am looking for this functionality because I have written dozens of studies, signals and functions and now I am looking for a special one which should contain some special keywords. Currently one has to pick each entity out of hundreds from the navigator bar and perform a manual search.

I would like to see the export of studies, signals and functions as plain text files as a new feature in the next version of MC.

Regards,
TraderJ

rondot samuel ws

Re: Export of all studies, signals and functions as plain fi

Postby rondot samuel ws » 06 Jan 2011

Hi look for

C:\programdata\TS support\multicharts\studyserver\studies\srcel\*.*

or something similar according windows release

Hello everybody,

I would like to export all studies, signals and functions as separate files.
By doing this, I could search all files at once (grep) and edit them in my favorite editor.
The current functionality only exports studies, signals and functions as an xml file.
Additionally, that file is not accessible from any third party tool because its contents are encrypted.

I am looking for this functionality because I have written dozens of studies, signals and functions and now I am looking for a special one which should contain some special keywords. Currently one has to pick each entity out of hundreds from the navigator bar and perform a manual search.

I would like to see the export of studies, signals and functions as plain text files as a new feature in the next version of MC.

Regards,
TraderJ

TraderJ

Postby TraderJ » 06 Jan 2011

You are right. All studies are there in plain text.
That was an answer to my liking :-)
Thank you rondot!

janus

Postby janus » 07 Jan 2011

I checked and even my studies that are password protected are in clear text in that folder. What's the point then of password protecting a study? It's now a useless feature.

TraderJ

Postby TraderJ » 07 Jan 2011

I guess that you created the password protected studies on that computer.
In that case, it is ok to store them in plain text on this computer in my opinion.
If you export the study to xml and import it on another computer, I guess the plain text file will be empty. I think so because I have seen lots of empty plain text files in the folder.

This is only a guess, but you could verify that for yourself.

janus

Postby janus » 07 Jan 2011

That may be so but since the default installation folder is on the "All Users" folder, any user on the computer can see the plain text files. I would have thought password protecting them would overcome this but now I realise it doesn't. I'm not so worried myself about it but I just want to make it aware for others so they don't falling into a false sense of security. Of course, those with the right skills can protect those files by adding the appropriate MS access rights to prevent unwarranted access by other users.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Jan 2011

That may be so but since the default installation folder is on the "All Users" folder, any user on the computer can see the plain text files. I would have thought password protecting them would overcome this but now I realise it doesn't. I'm not so worried myself about it but I just want to make it aware for others so they don't falling into a false sense of security. Of course, those with the right skills can protect those files by adding the appropriate MS access rights to prevent unwarranted access by other users.
This is correct. If you want it to be changed, you can post a feature request in Project Management.

Return to “MultiCharts”