Tick volume in forex

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arjfca

Tick volume in forex

Postby arjfca » 10 Mar 2011

Hello

I read that some software use the tick volume instead of the volume of transactions that we all known for a stock..

Is it possible to use tick volume with MC?

Anywhone as experience with VSA (volume spread analysis) in forex

My broker is IB and the volume data that i receive is not complete. Many periods as no volume at all while the market did show volatility.

Martin

Tresor

Re: Tick volume in forex

Postby Tresor » 10 Mar 2011

select 'build volume on: tick count'
Attachments
tick count.JPG
(48.58 KiB) Downloaded 568 times

arjfca

Hello Tresor

Thanks for your input

I did use the tick setup. Problem is it seems that I don't have all the tick data since lot of bars are a single dot.

Is it possible using IB as my data provider?

Any experience using Volume analysis?

Martin
Attachments
TickSetup.gif
(39.7 KiB) Downloaded 572 times

janus

Postby janus » 10 Mar 2011

Depends on how accurate you want the tick or volume data to be. It has been mentioned before that IB does not provide true tick nor true volume data but an accumulated snapshot over an internal. I find for example the volume can be about as little as half what the real volume of an traded instrument is during very active periods. I know because I also have an account with another broker with a direct line to one of the exchanges I use. Also, with IB the historical data is not always the same as the real-time data because for some reason they use a different snapshot interval. It has been reported to them many times over many years but they refuse to fix this. This means when you restart MC, or do a reload, the data displayed may change. If you need the true volume or true tick data (at least much better quality than IB's) then you need to search for another data provider. You can still use IB for your orders though.

arjfca

Ha! Ha!

Janus

You resolve one of my interogation that i have about historical data. It append that my trading signal show some difference from time to time for the same period. Also, I have seen Live account and demo not triggered toghether

Any reason why MC does not show tick volume for some bars during the day. Isn't the tick being stored in a database

Martin

janus

Postby janus » 10 Mar 2011

Any reason why MC does not show tick volume for some bars during the day. Isn't the tick being stored in a database
Martin
Yes, bid/ask tick volume should be either in the cache or stored in the database but only while you are plotting them on the screen in real-time, or if you set up the Fields to Collect in QM and turn on Connect Symbol. It doesn't appear that historical data can be downloaded for these but not certain.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 11 Mar 2011

Anywhone as experience with VSA (volume spread analysis) in forex
I looked at your screenshot. Clearly you can't do any sensible volume analysis with such a volume histogram.

If IB turnes out to be at fault, you would need to change your data vendor.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 11 Mar 2011

Depends on how accurate you want the tick or volume data to be. It has been mentioned before that IB does not provide true tick nor true volume data but an accumulated snapshot over an internal. I find for example the volume can be about as little as half what the real volume of an traded instrument is during very active periods. I know because I also have an account with another broker with a direct line to one of the exchanges I use. Also, with IB the historical data is not always the same as the real-time data because for some reason they use a different snapshot interval. It has been reported to them many times over many years but they refuse to fix this. This means when you restart MC, or do a reload, the data displayed may change. If you need the true volume or true tick data (at least much better quality than IB's) then you need to search for another data provider. You can still use IB for your orders though.
Price modification from my bar chart did occured this morning.

A setup was to go long as been issued and went long. 1/2 hour ago, after a power failure, i lost the connection. After reloading, setup was not at the same price. Should i had take, I would had have a lost. Hoppefully, I'm still in with a gain of 4 time my risk.
Hum, Is it IB or MC that cause the problem?

Martin

janus

Postby janus » 11 Mar 2011

Hum, Is it IB or MC that cause the problem?
Martin
As I explained, it's IB's fault. Having historical data different from real-time data (apart from any filtering of bad data) is a total nonsense. Nothing you can do about it apart from moving to a better data provider.

Return to “MultiCharts”