Setting transaction costs in FX

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
fibonaccci

Setting transaction costs in FX

Postby fibonaccci » 30 Mar 2011

Hi all,
I’m a little bit confused about setting transaction costs in FX for backtesting purposes.
I’m using TS historical data with “100.000” lot size.
As in MC there is only the $ - Symbol as Currency-Unit, can one assume that the $ is just a general sysmbol for the base currency (first ccy in quote, e.g. in GBP/USD , GBP is base ccy) ?

For example:
in GBP/USD (100.000/160.000) we assume a 2 Pips spread ( 1.6001/1.6003 )
= 160.030 USD – 160.010USD = 20 USD as spread costs
Under “Costs” in “Strategy Properties” do I use 20USD or do I have to convert the 20USD in GBP (20/1.600= 12.5GBP) as GBP is the base ccy ?
Thank you very much for your help.

arjfca

Re: Setting transaction costs in FX

Postby arjfca » 31 Mar 2011

Hello Fibbonacci

Here is what i did
Don't know it it will resolve your interogation

My broker is IB. The cost per transaction is 2.5$ per 100 k units

In the property for the transaction cost, i use the value .0000025$ and select per share.

This is not translated in my base value ( Canadian), but at least it is closer representation of my cost since my number of unit that i deal modulate for each transactions

Now, if you want to convert it in your base currency, just put your cost per units in the box

Happy trading

Martin

fibonaccci

Postby fibonaccci » 07 Apr 2011

Hello arjfca,

thank you for your reply.
As far as I understand IB's commissions the cost per transaction is not 2.5$ per 100 k units,
but 2.5$ per 100 k $ units. Otherwise you would pay e.g. just 2.5$ per 100k GBP which would be about 1.6 time lower as price for GBP/USD is about 1.6.

Concerning my problem - the per share calculation will not solve the problem
as it is just a per share calculation and not a lot size calculation. In case your base ccy is CAD you are right there is not much difference when trading USD/CAD because there is not a huge price diference.

Probably there is an official explanation by MultiCharts as in MC there is only the $ - Symbol as Currency-Unit.

Thank you very much

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 07 Apr 2011

Thank you also Fibbonaci to have clarified my erroneous affirmation about the cost.

I understand your point. I did tried few months ago to resolve it, but i found and realised that my biggest problems was not at all relevant to the cost of transaction, interest charged or any other fees.

I need to be at least profitable on paper using my entrys, exit, trade and money management etc. Once that resolve and only then, I will refine to look at these (will be) minor points.

Yes, I still have a lot of crust to eat ( French Canadian expression) :)

Martin

Return to “MultiCharts”