Creating an exchange  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TonyB

Creating an exchange

Postby TonyB » 25 Apr 2011

I'd like to possibly chart and paper trade some European and Asian index futures such as the FDAX and HSI, but MC said that I need to create their corresponding exchanges first though. While I see how to do that, some details are requested for which I'm not sure how to populate.

To be clear, this is what I'm attempting...

I am in QuoteManager. And here is the path I've taken to add other instruments, but it's not working for something such as the FDAX:

Instrument -> Add Symbol -> From Data Source -> Open E Cry

From within this new window I select the Futures tab and "Look-up" something such as FDAX.

It is found - FDAXM1 (June 17, 2011 expiration). Great. I then highlight, click to add, but get a warning window:

"You must create EUR exchange first".

I then go this route:

Tools -> Exchanges & ECN's

New window, select add, but not sure how to populate the correct data for the EUR.

If there is another, better way, I'd appreciate knowing...

Stan Bokov

Re: Creating an exchange

Postby Stan Bokov » 26 Apr 2011

New window, select add, but not sure how to populate the correct data for the EUR.

Each data provider uses different abbreviations, and some change them constantly - that is why we built a flexible way to handle the names. There is no industry standard for naming the We added many exchanges, but sometimes (as in your case) the precise exchange is not there. What settings should be used for EUR? We don't actually know, we can only deduce based on the symbol and by asking the particular provider - we are in the same position as you are. Let's start the investigation...

Interactive Brokers, for instance, uses the Exchange abbreviation "DTB", which is already included in the list. Plus we also may know that we need the EUREX exchange, since that's where FDAX is traded. Then, we go to QuoteManager > Tools > Exchanges, find EUREX and click the Clone button. A dialog opens, and all you need to change is the Abbreviation field, from EUREX to EUR. All other fields will be already populated with correct info. After you click OK, you have created the EUR exchange and you can add your symbols.

Postby Guest » 07 Dec 2011

Each data provider uses different abbreviations, and some change them constantly - that is why we built a flexible way to handle the names. There is no industry standard for naming the We added many exchanges, but sometimes (as in your case) the precise exchange is not there. What settings should be used for EUR? We don't actually know, we can only deduce based on the symbol and by asking the particular provider - we are in the same position as you are. Let's start the investigation...

Interactive Brokers, for instance, uses the Exchange abbreviation "DTB", which is already included in the list. Plus we also may know that we need the EUREX exchange, since that's where FDAX is traded. Then, we go to QuoteManager > Tools > Exchanges, find EUREX and click the Clone button. A dialog opens, and all you need to change is the Abbreviation field, from EUREX to EUR. All other fields will be already populated with correct info. After you click OK, you have created the EUR exchange and you can add your symbols.
I am not able to connect OEC for EUREX
What settings should be used for EUR actually?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Dec 2011

Please go to QuoteManager > Tools > Exchanges, find EUREX and click the Clone button.
A dialog opens, and all you need to change is the Abbreviation field, from EUREX to EUR.
All other fields will be already populated with correct info.
After you click OK, you have created the EUR exchange and you can add your symbols.
The screenshot with the settings is in the attachment.
Attachments
EUR exchange.png
(35.49 KiB) Downloaded 1327 times

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 26 May 2013

Hi,
I'm trying to add the eSignal indexes to QuoteManager (Instrument -> Add Symbol -> From Data Source -> eSignal). I'm getting error:
"You must create exchanges first:
ADXI
AMMI
BAHI
BOMI
BOTI"

I don't know what exchanges these abbreviations represent, so can't add them. I can't find any info on eSignal's site nor a Google search. Any suggestions?
Attachments
t.png
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 1418 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 May 2013

Hi,
I'm trying to add the eSignal indexes to QuoteManager (Instrument -> Add Symbol -> From Data Source -> eSignal). I'm getting error:
"You must create exchanges first:
ADXI
AMMI
BAHI
BOMI
BOTI"

I don't know what exchanges these abbreviations represent, so can't add them. I can't find any info on eSignal's site nor a Google search. Any suggestions?
What eSignal indexes you are trying to add?

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 26 May 2013

All of them. I'm gathering data.

Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. Maybe I can identify these exchanges by adding a small quantity of indexes to try to find a sample that belongs to each. Thanks for the idea TJ.

TJ

Re: Creating an exchange  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 26 May 2013

I would suggest you to add what you need, instead of "all" of them.

Because the way a database is designed, when you add a symbol to the QuoteManager, a data space is set aside for that symbol. Even if you are only planning to collect a small amount of data for a short period of time, the same space is reserved. In addition, even when you delete the symbol, the allocated space will continue to occupy the database, and it will not go away until you use the database compressor to clear the database.

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... abase_Size

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 23 Oct 2013

Because the way a database is designed, when you add a symbol to the QuoteManager, a data space is set aside for that symbol. Even if you are only planning to collect a small amount of data for a short period of time, the same space is reserved.
There is no space set aside for the symbol data. If a symbol is added and no data loaded for it - only symbol settings and sessions are saved (occupies only a couple of kbs on the hdd).
In addition, even when you delete the symbol, the allocated space will continue to occupy the database, and it will not go away until you use the database compressor to clear the database.https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... abase_Size
When new data comes into the database storage - it will be written over the deleted data that occupied the space.

Return to “MultiCharts”