MULTICHARTS DT 7 BETA 3

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
admin

MULTICHARTS DT 7 BETA 3

Postby admin » 27 Apr 2011

MultiCharts Discretionary Trader 7.0 Beta 3 has been released. Please find a more detailed description of major and minor improvements contained in this beta release of and download it.

TonyB

Re: MULTICHARTS DT 7 BETA 3

Postby TonyB » 27 Apr 2011

Downloaded - thank you.

Since it seems that an instrument must first be added via QM first, before charting, is there an easy / fast way to get all of the NASDAQ and NYSE into MCDT?

I often have the need to chart stocks of interest or just ones that are mentioned to me, like from my dad moments ago; and having to go through QM to add it first is not exactly desirable, especially for a ticker I might not have reason to chart again...

Thanks much.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 28 Apr 2011

You can create/find a symbol list in Excel format (CSV) and import it into MCDT's QuoteManager in one go. In this symbol list you can have all of the NASDAQ and NYSE symbols.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 28 Apr 2011

Stan, that is good news, thank you.

Would this be the path in QM?

File -> Import Data -> Import Symbol List

It would seem to be, but figured I'd ask...

Not knowing how MC will organize this data into the proper exchange, upload or import two list separately, one each for the NASDAQ and NYSE? Thank you Stan.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 28 Apr 2011

You should use two separate lists. File -> Import Data -> Import Symbol List is the path. It's a wizard, which will allow you to assign the data feed, the exchange and the category to your entire list.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 28 Apr 2011

Stan, csv file like this should do the trick?

It seems to want 4 columns... I start the import at row 2 (actual stock data), and get no imports. I tried with different delimiter settings and get this sometiimes:

This first CSV is for the NYSE, for which the exchange already exists in MC. Any ideas?

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 02 May 2011

That CSV file should work, however, something went wrong during the import process. MultiCharts seems to be complaining of strange information in the columns. As you go through the wizard, make sure you monitor that correct settings are chosen in each field.

You can also come to our Live Chat, and we can help you import it - should take no more than a couple of minutes.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 06 May 2011

Stan, thank you. Just got back from travel, but will make the time next week for a live chat, before 11 am PT. I tried before, but it right at 11, so there was not time. Thanks again.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 17 May 2011

Hi,

Did you figure it out?

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 18 May 2011

Stan, on travel now...

During my OEC trial I had equity data. I now have a funded futures account there, but not an equity one at the moment. I need to ACH over some funds, and I can't make that happen until home.

Once complete, I will try again, and mostly likely do a live chat for assistance, which I did try a couple weeks back, but I was too late in the day for such support...

I appreciate the follow-up!

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 03 Jun 2011

Stan, as a matter of follow-up, I want to say that after much travel and the birth of our 2nd child, I finally had some time to chat today. Katrin was awesome. After a couple hours, the problem was resolved. In the csv attachment I was using, for "Category", I had "stock". It should have read "stocks". That's it!

Would be nice if MC let the user know. Very impressed with the support. Thank you.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 08 Jun 2011

Stan, as a matter of follow-up, I want to say that after much travel and the birth of our 2nd child, I finally had some time to chat today. Katrin was awesome. After a couple hours, the problem was resolved. In the csv attachment I was using, for "Category", I had "stock". It should have read "stocks". That's it!

Would be nice if MC let the user know. Very impressed with the support. Thank you.
Thanks for the kind words. Simple thing, yet, difficult to spot. Congratulations on your family addition :)

bwparisen

Postby bwparisen » 12 Jul 2011

www.eoddata.com provides free symbol files for all exchanges. Use the CSV format and files require no editing. Then in MC, select the comma delineator and none for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fields to import. The next dialog box allows selecting the output fields. For the Market Scanner, I want to scan on various lists, so I edit the Description field to label the symbols according to a desired sublist. Then clicking on the Description header organizes the column so each sublist is grouped together, making it easy to select.

bwparisen

Postby bwparisen » 13 Jul 2011

http://www.eoddata.com/ provides only symbols, no descriptions. However,
http://www.nasdaq.com/screening/company-list.aspx provides csv lists for amex, nasdaq, and nyse with both symbols and descriptions. But, the number of symbols are different between the two sites:

eoddata.com: 1640-amex, 3122-nyse, 2705-nasdaq.
nasdaq,com: 537-amex, 3258- nyse, nasdaq-2818

So, I'll use nasdaq.com for nasdaq and nyse, then combine amex from both sites.

Return to “MultiCharts”