New & Old GetActive commands need documenting & benefits

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

New & Old GetActive commands need documenting & benefits

Postby bowlesj3 » 04 Jun 2011

Hi,

Because the MC getactive features are now available again, I am preparing to upgrade to MC 7.0 beta to test it. To make it easy to (both convert my scripts and move back to my current version of MC if I need to) I am preparing 3 functions which will contain the MC versions and TS versions of the three GetActive commands for (Arw Text, TL). The three functions are shown below (JW at the end are my initials and will make it easy to mass convert the 14 scripts that use these commands).

I noticed the three new commands are not in the new power language documentation on the web site. Maybe it is would be a good idea if TSS updated the user manual for these commands and the old commands with clarification as to the difference. It might also be a good idea to point the documentation to the user study threads that indicate how the MC feature commands can be used. For my own curiosity I would not mind seeing threads giving examples any value in using the TS versions of these commands. At present I can not think of any use for the TS version of these commands. Here is my contribution to some potential usefullness of the MC version of these commands.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7764.

Thanks,
John

{function Arw_GetActiveJW ===================}
Arw_GetActiveJW = arw_getactive; {- provides MC features before MC 6.0 beta 3}
{Arw_GetActiveJW = MC_arw_getactive; - provides MC features after MC 7.0 beta ?}
{Note: the MC features of these commands are not available from MC 6.0 beta 3 to MC 7.0 beta ?}

{function Text_GetActiveJW ===================}
Text_GetActiveJW = Text_getactive; {provides MC features before MC 6.0 beta 3}
{Text_GetActiveJW = MC_Text_getactive; - provides MC features after MC 7.0 beta ?}
{Note: the MC features of these commands are not available from MC 6.0 beta 3 to MC 7.0 beta ?}

{function TL_GetActiveJW ===================}
TL_GetActiveJW = TL_getactive; {provides MC features before MC 6.0 beta 3}
{TL_GetActiveJW = MC_TL_getactive; - provides MC features after MC 7.0 beta ?}
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 05 Jun 2011, edited 3 times in total.

bowlesj3

Re: Need New GetActive commands syntax before I upgrade

I found the document mentioning the new getactive keywords. So since there are some other issues or ideas that still apply I decided to leave the post rather than delete it.

bowlesj3

Re: Need New GetActive commands syntax before I upgrade

The install of MC 7.0 went well, it found the new MC getactive commands (thanks so much TSS for putting everything back in). I will start reporting anything I find in the proper thread Monday when I run a live feed. Everything looks good offline so far.

Also, when I get the live data feed tests done and they new commands are working properly for me I will update the thread (link shown above) which contains the benefits of the new MC features getactive commands. If I can figure out a use for the TS version commands maybe I will include them in my thread. At present my understanding is the TS version of the getactive commands show you the last hightlighted Text/Arw/TL rather than the current one. The thing is with the MC versions of these commands you could set up a rolling table to create a trailing history of what the user highlighted if there was ever a need for it. So far I have not had such a need. Having said that I think the TS version also shows the last Text/Arw/TL created by the program. So again this is a different function and the program that did the creating could do that as well. So (based upon my thinking this out right here) it should be clear that these commands need to be documented either side by side or with a direct link to each other so the user can easily get a clear understanding of the differences.

bowlesj3

Re: New & Old GetActive commands need documenting & benefits

Postby bowlesj3 » 06 Jun 2011

Great news. all the three of the new MC version commands (MC_TL_GetActive, MC_Text_GetActive, MC_Arw_GetActive) work on my setup with a live tick coming in to test them. I am in such a good mood I will tell you why they are so important to me. Other than a few other uses (which are no less important) I use this command to select my wall bounce entry points by simply highlighting text on the price chart or arrows on the RSI (existing or new arrows) - All my trades require a bounce (or a near by bounce for insurance) and I will not use anything that smells anything like any sort of average in my trading methods (probably the main reason I will always be a discretionary trader). This "highlight something on the chart" method of entry point selection is extremely fast and seriously puts to shame my old method of keying in a number/text or pressing button clicks on my external program (it is highly visual). It was when I discovered these commands that I dumped that old method and only use it for adjusting entry points at times. So to TSS you have an incredible feature here and I suspect you had no idea just how powerful it really is. I suspect many of your users do not realize it as well. I will be reviewing and submitting my prior feature request into your project management system for timer execution of studies (it is currently buried in the forum somewhere). If you ever put this feature in these three commands will become more popular I am sure since they will be useful no matter how slow the symbol ticks. Right now you can only use them on fast ticking symbols.

So thanks for listening. I guess the next question is "Will MC run all day without slowing or aborting". It looks great so far.

John.

Stan Bokov

Re: New & Old GetActive commands need documenting & benefits

Postby Stan Bokov » 07 Jun 2011

So thanks for listening. I guess the next question is "Will MC run all day without slowing or aborting". It looks great so far.

John.
John, thanks for sharing your insight regarding this issue. 64-bit version, as I described in another one of your threads, should go a long way in helping "MC run all day without slowing or aborting".

Return to “MultiCharts”