Error Msg - Your subscription limit of 5 has been reached  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TonyB

Error Msg - Your subscription limit of 5 has been reached

Postby TonyB » 25 Jun 2011

While in QM, I see this:

Curious as to what this means and if it's broker / datafeed-related.

TJ

Re: Error Msg - Your subscription limit of 5 has been reache

Postby TJ » 25 Jun 2011

While in QM, I see this:

Curious as to what this means and if it's broker / datafeed-related.
It is a message from Open E Cry, so it is a server side issue.

What kind of subscription do you have?

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 26 Jun 2011

Thank you TJ. I sort of thought that might be the case (OEC-related)...

I'm not sure what subscription options there are with OEC. I have both a funded equity and futures account with them though. I will inquire with them next. Thank you again.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 28 Jun 2011

I was able to communicate with OEC on this matter, and while the limit is indeed theirs, a portion of the response has me back here...

MC stated that error message (Your subscription limit of 5 has been reached) is most likely the 5 tick base chart limit. He said that MC might be using OEC's tick data feed instead of minute, therefore limiting the data being accessible.

OEC allows 5 DOMs, 10 charts (5 of which can be tick), and 50 quotes. He said that MC may reuse data if using the same symbol so it may be possible to have more than 10 charts. OEC allows up to 10 separate threads. I take that to mean 10 unique symbols.

At the time I got the error, I had 12 charts open, but 3 were dup symbols (2 daily charts for the S&P 500, NASDAQ and Russell 2000). So, in total, 9 different symbols, all daily charts.

Might MC be using OEC's tick data feed, instead of otherwise, like minute or daily?

Does MC reuse the same data, as described by OEC?

Thank you.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 28 Jun 2011

MultiCharts does indeed load the data only once for a symbol and then streams it to all appropriate charts. Regarding daily data - if you load a daily chart for history we load daily OHLC, i.e. only four values for any particular day. However, if you have them open in real-time, we do subscribe to tick data because your Daily bar is still open, and the Close value is updating (it's ticking). So in reality you had 9 tick subscriptions, and you were past the limit.

If you just want to see historical daily charts without realtime updates, use the FROM and TO date settings when you create a chart.

TonyB

Stan, thanks for thorough reply.

If I understand correctly, if one has let's say daily charts of the S&P 500, NASDAQ and Dow open, if that user then wants to chart a couple stocks, that would be it, the OEC tick limit of 5 charts would be reached...

I currently have the default in this workspace as 500 bars back from the current date. From what you said, I believe that is what is what is making for realtime updates. If I do as you describe, the "TO" date would be yesterday? I'd want today too, ideally, I just don't need realtime tick updating...

I appreciate that MC pulls real-time tick as default. Might it be possible for users to change a particular daily chart from updating tick-by-tick, to let's say every minute, 3 or 5 minutes, or even delayed?

TJ

Re: Error Msg - Your subscription limit of 5 has been reache  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 28 Jun 2011

Stan, thanks for thorough reply.

If I understand correctly, if one has let's say daily charts of the S&P 500, NASDAQ and Dow open, if that user then wants to chart a couple stocks, that would be it, the OEC tick limit of 5 charts would be reached...

I currently have the default in this workspace as 500 bars back from the current date. From what you said, I believe that is what is what is making for realtime updates. If I do as you describe, the "TO" date would be yesterday? I'd want today too, ideally, I just don't need realtime tick updating...

I appreciate that MC pulls real-time tick as default. Might it be possible for users to change a particular daily chart from updating tick-by-tick, to let's say every minute, 3 or 5 minutes, or even delayed?
6.5 hrs X 60 min = 390 min

instead of calling up a day chart,
try a 390 minute chart, that would be a day long...

but I think it would still update in ticks.

TonyB

I just tried the "TO" date, with today, June 28th, and it doesn't show today's bar, of course since the bar was not closed yet (mkt was still open for QQQ)... That is not going to work.

After the mkt closed, I got a bar. If I have the To and From creating a one year span, like June 28, 2010 to June 28, 2011, will MC make it a rolling one year, meaning that tomorrow it will be June 29, 2010 to June 29, 2011? If so, so long as I check after mkt close, which is how I plan to mostly use this workspace, that might work just fine.

Thank you Stan.

TonyB

Sorry, TJ, I just saw your post. I had started my previous one a couple hours ago...

Pretty creative TJ! I get the impression that MC pulls real-time tick data, no matter the chart type. Maybe Stan can comment your idea. If there is a creative way to make this work, I'd be all for it. And if there is no "solution", this might merit a project mgt request...

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 29 Jun 2011

There is nothing we can do about this limit.... it's imposed by the API of the provider. If the symbol is updating in real time (i.e. markets open), it will update on your chart as well, and it will use tick data for that regardless of whether you have a daily bar, a minute bar, a second bar, or a tick bar.

I can only suggest getting a different data provider (IQ for instance) and trading through OEC (if you like the brokerage).

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 29 Jun 2011

Thank you Stan.

I realize that it's an OEC limit alright, not MC's. Their charting limits, as explained to me:

10 unique charting symbols (can mean more that 10 charts with MC's reuse)

Of these 10, no more than 5 can be tick

But, the first limit (10) in meaningless when every chart is by default tick-driven, making the limit 5.

Given these limits, and I guess they are not uncommon with data providers, it would be nice to have the choice to throttle-back on the datafeed, when desired, as instructed by the user. It's clearly overkill in this workspace I've created here... More importantly, it limits my ability.

Within an OEC's platform, a tick chart is tick driven, that's it. All other charts would be applied the larger 10 limit.

It would seem that there is an opportunity for MC to enhance how it makes requests from from OEC's API, to take advantage of higher limits.

Return to “MultiCharts”