PL. TL and Indicator strategy question

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
designer01

PL. TL and Indicator strategy question

Postby designer01 » 26 Jul 2011

In the EL strategy below, the strategy triggers buy orders when the trendlines are crossed up by the indicator (see screenshot). I want to FILTER OUT instances when the indicator is NOT doing higher lows. (see trendline to the far left in the screenshot) The 2 trendline crossings on the right in the screenshot do what I want. The strategy as written right now triggers orders in all cases.

My question is simple, what would I have to modify in the PL code to say the Pivot Low 2 low pivots ago (last cyan arrow) from the TL crossing has to be LOWER than the low of last pivot low (green arrow)in order for the signal to be triggered.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
INDICATOR-TL-BREAK.ELD
(9.18 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
IndicatorTL.jpg
(88.58 KiB) Downloaded 492 times

TJ

Re: PL. TL and Indicator strategy question

Postby TJ » 26 Jul 2011

In the EL strategy below, the strategy triggers buy orders when the trendlines are crossed up by the indicator (see screenshot). I want to FILTER OUT instances when the indicator is NOT doing higher lows. (see trendline to the far left in the screenshot) The 2 trendline crossings on the right in the screenshot do what I want. The strategy as written right now triggers orders in all cases.

My question is simple, what would I have to modify in the PL code to say the Pivot Low 2 low pivots ago (last cyan arrow) from the TL crossing has to be LOWER than the low of last pivot low (green arrow)in order for the signal to be triggered.
Thanks in advance.
you will need to write some notes on the chart to illustrate your desires.

ps. in the future, please post the code in text format instead of ELD. It saves the trouble of installing the code before having a chance to reading it.

designer01

Postby designer01 » 26 Jul 2011

TJ Thanks for responding.
The current ELD strategy code enters long at ALL Trendline breaks at "o" as shown in screenshot.
Basically what I want to include in the strategy is a filter so I only enter when the Trendline is broken if the previous Pivot Low before trendline break is higher than the Pivot Low before it. In other words it is begining to trend UP. See screenshot attached with legend.
(I want to enter when the trendline is broken after the green arrows. I DO NOT want to enter when the trendline is broken after the red arrows.)

Thanks again.
Attachments
IndicatorTL.jpg
(198.27 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Jul 2011

TJ Thanks for responding.
The current ELD strategy code enters long at ALL Trendline breaks at "o" as shown in screenshot.
Basically what I want to include in the strategy is a filter so I only enter when the Trendline is broken if the previous Pivot Low before trendline break is higher than the Pivot Low before it. In other words it is begining to trend UP. See screenshot attached with legend.
(I want to enter when the trendline is broken after the green arrows. I DO NOT want to enter when the trendline is broken after the red arrows.)

Thanks again.
Your attached code seem incomplete.

Basically you have to set up a variable to store the pivot price,
then compare the old pivot price when a new pivot is formed.

designer01

Postby designer01 » 27 Jul 2011

TJ,
Thanks, I'm not sure I follow you, can you give me an example.

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Jul 2011

TJ,
Thanks, I'm not sure I follow you, can you give me an example.
Your concept is simple,
but coding it will take days. Explaining it (ie teaching) will take even longer.

If you are not sure on how to set up a variable,
may I suggest you start from post #1:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6929

designer01

Postby designer01 » 04 Aug 2011

Thanks,
I've been looking for a Power Language (ELD coding) teacher... I've seen all the documents and videos available, but there are some specific questions I need help within developing code. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Aug 2011

Thanks,
I've been looking for a Power Language (ELD coding) teacher... I've seen all the documents and videos available, but there are some specific questions I need help within developing code. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Seeing the document is not enough, you have to read them, study them, and experiment with the examples/exercises in the books.

The first 2 ebooks will get any newbie started coding indicators.
Coding strategies will take a bit more time.

If you have specific question, you can post it on this forum. The MultiCharts community is very helpful, I am sure someone can give you a hand/hint.

designer01

TJ,
Thanks for your input. In reality I'm not trying to become an expert in ELD coding. While I want to learn I'm just trying to resolve the indicators and strategies I need withouth going to great lenghts.
The forums here are very nice but don't seem to answer the questions I have.

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Aug 2011

TJ,
Thanks for your input. In reality I'm not trying to become an expert in ELD coding. While I want to learn I'm just trying to resolve the indicators and strategies I need withouth going to great lenghts.
The forums here are very nice but don't seem to answer the questions I have.
OK, I see the problem...

What you think is a "specific question" is actually a very general idea.
You are looking to re-design the strategy, with a different logic, which will entail a restructure of most of the code.

At the forum level, we can help with syntax questions (that's specific to me), and to some extend, structural questions.

To re-design a strategy on a public forum will take some time and effort; you might want to consider hiring a professional to do the job for you.

designer01

I want to learn as well. I don't want to get a password protected code. That is why I said a teacher, some one who I can talk live with will be the ideal solution. Do you know of any?

Return to “MultiCharts”