Order Status Checking

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
champski

Order Status Checking

Postby champski » 27 Jul 2011

Hi,

I use MC7 for automated trading and want to know if there is a way I can check the status of an order so I can avoid the risk of accidently doubling-up on an order in the same direction e.g

Code: Select all

[IntraBarOrderGeneration=true] ;
If marketposition = 0 then
Buy next bar 1000 shares at market;
I might be wrong in assuming this but with the code above, is there any risk that while the first BUY order is pending and not yet filled a second BUY order could be sent. Therefore, resulting in the unintended purchase of 2000 shares instead of 1000?????

In MC7, I see there is the "Order and Position Tracker" feature. Can this feature be used through automated trading and if so, could it provide benefit to what I am talking about (or is my assumption of doubling-up just incorrect)

Cheers
Champski

champski

Re: Order Status Checking

Postby champski » 31 Jul 2011

Hi Stan,

Are you able to help?

TJ

Postby TJ » 31 Jul 2011

note: Please use

Code: Select all

tags when posting codes. It makes reading easier.
ps. I have added them for you this time.

TJ

Postby TJ » 31 Jul 2011

When learning or testing an autotrade strategy,
please always use a simulated account to try out the logic and order processing.

InteractiveBrokers' demo system is free, and it does not require registration.

champski

Postby champski » 02 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

I thought you needed a live account with IB before you could use an account that is useable through MC. It's called a papertrader account. Is that what you are talking about??

Cheers
Champski

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 02 Aug 2011

Hi Champski,

This sadly is not possible. Arjfca recently created a feature request for it: MC-512 - Adding a function for reading the status of an order on the broker server. It has already received 8 votes within a week - clearly something that is highly wished by the community.

Edit#2: A similar feature request has been made in January, and has been 'under review' since January 14th. How disappointing that there is no (for me) visible progress in this area.
I might be wrong in assuming this but with the code above, is there any risk that while the first BUY order is pending and not yet filled a second BUY order could be sent. Therefore, resulting in the unintended purchase of 2000 shares instead of 1000?????
Good question - I'd also like to know this. Can MC Support comment on this?
In MC7, I see there is the "Order and Position Tracker" feature. Can this feature be used through automated trading and if so, could it provide benefit to what I am talking about (or is my assumption of doubling-up just incorrect)
In my opinion the Order and Position Tracker cannot be used as a way to check on the strategy orders, given that orders in the OPT can turn up 2x (or even 4x) while there in fact was only one order triggered. As far as I know, MC Support is working on this.

Edit: See this thread for more about that Champski.
I thought you needed a live account with IB before you could use an account that is useable through MC. It's called a papertrader account. Is that what you are talking about??
Haven't tried that specific account, but with my IB demo papertrading account I have no trouble to let MC autotrade it.

Regards,
Josh

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 03 Aug 2011

Hi Champski,

In my testing using a demo account I noticed when I close multicharts it said I had a pending order.... not sure where this came from as all trades were opened and closed via autotrading, so maybe its something similar to what you have mentioned as I too am using IOG.

JoshM - thanks for the heads up on that feature request I have thrown a vote in for it as its something I'd like to see. Champski you should throw a vote on it also.

Cheers,
T

Return to “MultiCharts”