Refreshing Charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mno

Refreshing Charts

Postby mno » 15 Aug 2011

Hello,

I am refreshing my charts via a keyboard macro every other 5 seconds and MC crashed within the first hour so I am trying to refresh every other 10 seconds and see if that's more stable.

My questions are:

1. What is the fastest / most stable ways to refresh charts? Are my options only via the menu or keyboard strokes?

2. Are there alternatives? Possible reserved word like the RecalcLastBarAfter() which force executes the studies, maybe a RefreshLastAfter() which forces to refresh the charts?

Thanks much.

mno

PS Crashed image is attached
Attachments
pic1.jpg
(106.29 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Last edited by mno on 15 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Re: Refreshing Charts

Postby TJ » 15 Aug 2011

Hello,

I am refreshing my charts via a keyboard macro every other 5 seconds and MC crashed within the first hour so I am trying to refresh every other 10 seconds and see if that's more stable.

My questions are:

1. What is the fastest / most stable ways to refresh charts? Are my options only via the menu or keyboard strokes?

2. Are there alternatives? Possible reserved word like the RecalcLastBarAfter() which force executes the studies, maybe a RefreshLastAfter() which forces to refresh the charts?

Thanks much.

mno
For what purpose do you need to refresh every 5 seconds?

There might be other solutions.

mno

Postby mno » 15 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

I am trying to review the differences between condensed data charts vs realtime data charts. Condensed I mean refreshed charts every 5 seconds or so. Thereafter, I would like to test and learn more of the actual difference you spoke of regarding the NCT charts, etc.

Thank you.

mno

TJ

Postby TJ » 15 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

I am trying to review the differences between condensed data charts vs realtime data charts. Condensed I mean refreshed charts every 5 seconds or so. Thereafter, I would like to test and learn more of the actual difference you spoke of regarding the NCT charts, etc.

Thank you.

mno
I do not understand what you mean by "condensed".

When you refresh a chart, MC would go to your data provider and reload the requested data.
Depending on the length of the requested data, the reloading might take a few seconds -- it might take more than 5 seconds.

On a minute chart, the reloaded chart might look different than your real time chart. That is because real time data are streamed to your computer as they happen. A trade that happened on 0959:59 might arrive at your computer at 1000:01, and it will be recorded as such. But upon reloading, in which the data will come from the historical data server, where each trade is time-stamped, the chart will be corrected to 0959:59. Thus the difference in appearance.

If the chart is not time based, I don't know if reloading would make a difference.

mno

Postby mno » 15 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

Thank you.

mno

When you refresh a chart, MC would go to your data provider and reload the requested data.
Depending on the length of the requested data, the reloading might take a few seconds -- it might take more than 5 seconds.

On a minute chart, the reloaded chart might look different than your real time chart. That is because real time data are streamed to your computer as they happen. A trade that happened on 0959:59 might arrive at your computer at 1000:01, and it will be recorded as such. But upon reloading, in which the data will come from the historical data server, where each trade is time-stamped, the chart will be corrected to 0959:59. Thus the difference in appearance.

If the chart is not time based, I don't know if reloading would make a difference.
I meant condensed as in reading data from the QuoteManager that is already inside it - from beginning date to current. Maybe there is a better word like EOD but like End Of Last Time I Refreshed.

I am using NCT charts and would like to see the difference between the two. ie. live charts vs. refreshing charts every 5 seconds or so - they are definitely different which is correct ok. Just want to see if I can trade on past data as it may give me a better proxy of the market. Thanks.

mno

mno

Postby mno » 15 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

Thank you.

mno

I meant condensed as in reading data from the QuoteManager that is already inside it - from beginning date to current. Maybe there is a better word like EOD but like End Of Last Time I Refreshed.

I am using NCT charts and would like to see the difference between the two. ie. live charts vs. refreshing charts every 5 seconds or so - they are definitely different which is correct ok. Just want to see if I can trade on past data as it may give me a better proxy of the market. Thanks.

mno

mno

Postby mno » 15 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

Thank you.

mno

mno

mno

Postby mno » 15 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

Condensed = Historical Data

mno

Return to “MultiCharts”