Anyone Use Laptop to Trade / Autotrade?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Spaceant

Anyone Use Laptop to Trade / Autotrade?

Postby Spaceant » 05 Sep 2011

Hi Folks,

I am considering to buy one of the following to autotrade:

Lenovo ThinkPad T420s (Intel Corei7-2620M Dual-Core Processor - 2.7 GHz, up to 3.4GHz / 4M Cache)
HP Elitebook 8560w (Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad Core Processor -2.0 GHz, up to 2.9 GHz / 6M Cache)

Reliability, performance, stability, possibility of overheating, etc are factors to be considered.

Please comment if you use one of the above or other i-7 laptops.....

Thanks!

Sa

Henrik

Re: Anyone Use Laptop to Trade / Autotrade?

Postby Henrik » 05 Sep 2011

My favorite is the Lenovo, because Lenocos are pure workingmachines....

Ultimately it does not matter, which Laptop you chosse.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 05 Sep 2011

If you plan to auto trade- you might consider being connected by Ethernet cable, rather than trust a wireless connection.
Almost any new laptop should be able to handle it...

TJ

Postby TJ » 05 Sep 2011

CPU benchmark to help you select your computer

Below is an alphabetical list of all CPU types that appear in the charts. Clicking on a specific processor name will take you to the chart it appears in and will highlight it for you. Results for Single CPU Systems and Multiple CPU Systems are listed separately.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

geizer

Postby geizer » 06 Sep 2011

I had a good experience at work (incl some rough weather and field conditions) with the following brands: IBM/Lenovo, Dell, Fujitsu, and not so much with Toshiba. Also have Apple Macbook pro at home and very happy with it. All of the above (except Apple) were business models. Can't complain. I would say go for either of the above brands as long as you choose a business model and not a consumer "all-in-one-multimedia-laptop."

Also had some bad experience with Acer, Asus, HP/Compaqs, but those were consumer products that friends were asking me to repair for them.

Imho, the processing power of a laptop is not as important as the battery life, and ergonomics, weight which is portability. Of you have a choice - I would give preference to more L2 cache vs CPU speed.

HP inherited a lot of problems after it bought Compaq in the early 2000's.
I would go with Lenovo (formerly IBM) business model without question even if HP offered more performance for the dollar.
Regards,
Pavel

NW27

Postby NW27 » 06 Sep 2011

Hi,
I use a laptop for trading. I have the following equipment connected to this all via hardwires (no wireless or batteries to worry about) -
2 * external screens (1 via VGA, 1 via USB)
1 Keyboard (wired)
1 mouse (wired)
1 Ethernet
1 USB 3G data modem (backup connection)

On the actual laptops screen, I have TWS (InteractiveBrokers interface) and my main MC trading screen. On the other screens, I have other MC support charts. These are not as critical as the main trading screen.

A principal reason for using a laptop is the internal battery, it acts like a UPS. This and the backup 3G modem mean I can handle just about anything.

Externally, I also have a APC 750VA UPS that powers my Notebook, ADSL modem, monitors and Land line phone.

As a last resort I have the IB trading desk phone numbers stuck onto my laptop and my mobile phone near by.

Neil.

Return to “MultiCharts”