Does anyone like the fact that text snaps to price etc.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Does anyone like the fact that text snaps to price etc.

Postby bowlesj3 » 10 Oct 2011

I am very curious. Is there anyone out there who actually likes the fact that text snaps to price when snap mode is turned on or does everyone use one of these work arounds?

** always have snap mode turned off (just never use it ever - that is my solution).
** turn it on and leave it on but never have text on the chart (ever).
** run a macro that can tell you that it is on or off in advance (I have that actually but no longer use snap)
** have developed the ability to somehow know how far the text has to be away from the chart to stop it from snapping.
** Put up with the fact that you have to turn it on and off all the time maybe because you almost never put text on the chart or at least never touch it which causes it to snap.

I am thinking that maybe users do not have the time to read my "full control of snap mode request". So I created two simpler requests (that I would be happy with at least) and linked them all together (see next post for the simpler requests).

Here is my current request which gives the ultimate control of snap:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-446
The main reason for this idea is the snapping of a trend line to a bollinger band makes no sense to me so this would allow users to control what a line snaps too (most want high/low which is what Qcharts does but this would give options for selecting plots). I came up with this full control idea because it seems that some users do want to snap to a plot.

I added two simpler snap ideas in the post below.

Extra notes.
I just did a search in project management and no one has asked that text be excluded from snap. I saw a request that there be a snap mode button out in plain view. I had to check to see if I requested that because I think I put it in my detailed snap mode request and my having a button in my external program to see if snap mode is on or off is my work around for not having a snap mode button out in plain view. The thing is if my more complex request was in place there would be no need for this button out in plain view (I think). I think the main reason to have this button out there is so we can very quickly see if it is on and turn it off so we can move text without it snapping (annoying).

Another thing: It does not matter if the text (or line) was put out there by program control or not. If you touch a program control text it will snap if it is close to price.

Once last comment directly for the MC staff:
I just checked QCharts on the T2W review contest. Qcharts got no reviews at all and that is exactly what it deserves in my opinion. However Qcharts is way better than MC when it comes to snap mode (and a few other items). Maybe this item needs a priority bump to bring MC up to the Qcharts higher standard (see post #2 below)
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 10 Oct 2011, edited 6 times in total.

bowlesj3

Re: Does anyone like the fact that text snaps to price etc.

I went ahead and created two simpler snap mode related requests that would bring MC up to what I consider to be the Qcharts standard in this area.

Trend Lines snapping only to price high/low.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-652

User option for any tool (Text,Arrows, whatever) Excluded from snap mode completely.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-651

All of these are linked together for cross reference.

vking

Postby vking » 10 Oct 2011

bowlesj3 - The request - "Trend Lines snapping only to price high/low." - should be user configurable rather than making it permanent I would think. I don't use high/low but body of the candle - open/close) to draw trend lines. As long as it can be done by some means - it should be fine I think.

bowlesj3

Hi vking,

Thanks for that input. I was thinking that some traders may use the close. Open had not really occured to me. For sure. I will update the main body of the feature request and also link it to here incase anyone wants to add something here. Its done so you might want to review it.

I am assuming you are aware you can add comments directly to the request. The MC Staff get an email when you do that. Someone specializes in the Project Management system so I guess they get that email.

John.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Oct 2011

I went ahead and created two simpler snap mode related requests that would bring MC up to what I consider to be the Qcharts standard in this area.

Trend Lines snapping only to price high/low.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-652

User option for any tool (Text,Arrows, whatever) Excluded from snap mode completely.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-651

All of these are linked together for cross reference.
Thank you for your suggestion Sir.
I have forwarded your request to the developers.
Unfortunately we do not plan to implement such functionality in the nearest future.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 11 Oct 2011

Thanks Henry.

I guess people who use trend lines do not use text and people who use text to not use trend lines. The is the only reason you have few complaints. If they did I am sure the constant need to turn snap on an off would cause a flood of complaints.

John.

vking

Postby vking » 11 Oct 2011

I actually would like to have "snap" feature turned on/off and keep it like that for specific objects.

For example - when I draw "rectangle" object - would like to have snap off by default and for trendlines - would like to have snap on by default but would like to have it snap on to open/close.

At present it is a bit difficult to keep selecting snap mode on/off for different objects. At present in TS - created keyboard shortcuts to turn on/off for snap mode and waiting for keyboard shortcut implementation in MC at this time.

Best option that I can think of - let user pick default snap behavior for the object drawn rather than making it universal to all objects.

Thanks.

bowlesj3

That is basically what this request is. However this one also targets what to snap to (but only because some people were snapping to plots from what I gather). Otherwise for my reasons I do not need this requirement (what I am saying is I agree exactly with what you are asking). Having said that you are also targeting what to snap to by selecting Open or close as well. So why not vote for this one but specify in the comment the part about open and close for a additional target. I need to review the link to this. It has been a while. As far as I remember, it covers your requirement except for that one target adjustment.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-446

bowlesj3

I changed the subject to

"Ability to select what tool to snap and select the target(s)."

Also I should bring the key points into the Bug Tracker description area. Maybe that would generate some votes.

I think I had it so there could be a default but once a tool is out there you could change that specific tool so it is different than the default. Not only that if tools could be put on a tool bar they would have their setting there too (but that is a different feature request).

vking

Postby vking » 11 Oct 2011

John - I have voted for this.

Correct PM link - for this:

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-446

bowlesj3

Just realized I had not voted for it so it has 2 now. I will try to clean the description up a bit at least by this weekend.

Return to “MultiCharts”